TABLE OF CONTENTS
Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola (Parras, Mexico) Records, 1620-1910 (bulk 1720-1849)
Parras de la Fuente was founded in 1598 as Santa María de las Parras. The establishment of its archives was ordered in 1620 by bishop Francisco Rivera. The archivo parroquial is the only portion remaining in Parras of the local archives, which formerly included civil, tlaxcaltecan, and Jesuit archives. The civil and tlaxcaltecan archives were burned during the revolution; the Jesuit archives are believed to be in the Archivo General de la Nación.
Photocopies of correspondence, pastoral and circular letters, edicts, proclamations, inventories, financial and legal documents, notes, and fragments of documents from the archives of the parish of San Ignacio de Loyola, Parras de la Fuente, Coahuila, Mexico (1620-1910). Organized into three series: I. Fondo Eclesiástico; II. Fondo Civil. III. Fondo Eclesiástico-Civil. The Fondo Eclesiástico consists of 410 expedientes covering both parish and diocesan administration, including marriage regulations, clerical licenses, church building and repair, and extensive burial records. Many of the documents are from causes presented during the years 1752-1795 to José Dionisio Gutiérrez, ecclesiastical judge of Parras.
The Fondo Civil contains 150 expedientes reflecting pastoral activities of the Bishop of Durango and diocesan curates from 1730 to 1879, bearing upon the struggle for national independence, difficulties of the northern Indian missions, foreign invasions, and anticlericalism after 1800. The Fondo Eclesiástico-Civil's 196 expedientes include Inquisition censures and diocesan rulings on commerce and political asylum as well as civil and criminal complaints. At least 120 expedientes in the collection, dating from 1634 to 1826, reflect the economic and social concerns of Indians, most of them Tlaxcalan settlers of the Parras area or their descendants.
Owners of cattle and vineyards with their own governing bodies, the Indians supported chaplaincies, hospitals, and several confraternities. Of particular interest are the confraternities' detailed records and the groups of diocesan edicts at the close of the collection. The collection contains little information about the Jesuits.
Original documents are located in the Templo del Colegio de San Ignacio de Loyola, Parras de la Fuente, Coahuila, Mexico. These photocopies were made at Parras de la Fuente, Coahuila, Mexico.
Index available as Indice del Archivo Parroquial Histórico del Templo de San Ignacio de Loyola en Parras de la Fuente, Coahuila, Churruca Peláez, Agustin and Manuel Sakanassi Ramírez, El archivo historico "Matheo," 1989.
Standard copyright restrictions apply.
Cite as: Archivo parroquial histórico del Templo de San Ignacio de Loyola en Parras de la Fuente, Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection, University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin.