TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the J.L. Hillyer Letters, 1897-1898
Bardwell is a small rural community developed in the early 1880s by John W. Bardwell when he built a cotton gin in southeastern Ellis County, Texas, a mile southwest of the present townsite. Bardwell's first school was built in 1892 and a Baptist church was organized the following year. Residents also established a Methodist church and opened a post office branch in 1893.
David Minor, "BARDWELL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlb07), accessed April 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
The J.L. Hillyer Letters, 1897-1898, consist of a group of six letters to John B. Hillyer, New Springville, Richmond County, New York, from his nephew John L. Hillyer, Bardwell, Ellis County, Texas. Letters talk about his family, daily activities and issues such as market prices and the effect of the weather over the crops, constituting a source for the study of local agricultural and economic history in late 19th century northeast Texas.
This collection is open for research use.
J.L. Hillyer Letters, 1897-1898, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Paloma Graciani Picardo, April 2015.