TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Temple (Tex.) Stereographs, circa 1890-1900
Located in Bell County, Texas, 67 miles north of Austin and 36 miles south of Waco, the town of Temple was established during the early 1880s. By 1884, Temple was home to 3,000 residents, with services including three churches, a school, two banks, two weekly newspapers, an opera house, a water works and a variety of business. By the turn of the century, the town had grown to over 7,000 residents.
Source: Smyrl, Vivian Elizabeth. "Temple, Texas." Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed May 1, 2014. .
The Temple (Tex.) Stereographs consist of 44 stereographs of the town of Temple, Texas, during the 1890s. One image is identified as the “Opera House and Park, Temple, Texas.” Other photographs include images of people along a river, portraits and views of downtown, as well images that possibly show a battle reenactment and river baptism. Most photographs are stamped with the label “E. Mo. Shepperd,” possibly the photographer’s name.
Archivist’s note: Please contact photographs archivist prior to research visit for use of one of the Briscoe Center’s stereo viewers.
This collection is open for research use.
Temple (Tex.) Stereographs, circa 1890-1900, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Amy Bowman, May 2014.