TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Carmine (Texas) Post Office Records, 1886-1940
Located on the Fayette-Washington county line, Sylvan, Texas, grew as a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. With the creation of the town's post office in 1892, the name was changed to Carmine in honor of Newton Carmean, its first postmaster. After reaching a peak population of 650 by 1950, the town declined due to the rerouting of U. S. Highway 290 later that decade and the closing of the railroad line in the 1980s.
Carroll, Jeff. "Carmine, TX." Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed April 19, 2011.
Correspondence, financial records, forms, ledgers, ephemera, circulars, and maps, compose the Carmine (Texas) Post Office Records, 1886-1940, documenting the activities of the post office. Money orders and ledgers, cashbooks, registration books, postage due cards, and stamp purchase ledgers relate to the office's financial business and transactions. Letters, postcards, forms, circulars, and carrier route maps concern its official postal policies and activities. Railroad books, records, and maps demonstrate the relationship between the postal system and railways, while ephemera, such as wanted posters and war savings pledge cards, illustrate the office's role as a community center.
This collection is open for research use.
These papers are stored remotely. Advance notice required for retrieval. Contact repository for retrieval.
Carmine (Texas) Post Office Records, 1886-1940, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection contains unprocessed materials.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.