A Guide to the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association Records, 1877-1968
The Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association was organized at Graham, Texas, in 1877 as the Stock-Raisers' Association of North-West Texas. Around 1893 it acquired a large membership from South Texas and became the Texas Cattle Raisers Association. The present title was adopted in 1921 when the Panhandle and Southwestern Associations merged with the Texas group. With membership extending over several states, it is the largest organization of its kind in the United States. Its membership has included leading cattlemen such as James C. Loving and C. C. Slaughter, who were organizers of the 1877 group, Richard Mifflin Kleberg and Robert J. Kleberg of the King Ranch, and Dolph Briscoe, Jr., all former presidents, as well as hundreds of owners of small herds. The organization was incorporated in 1882, the same year it adopted a "per head" assessment system, still in force, to curb cattle rustling by employing brand inspectors to verify ownership. The association monitors legislation and represents its members' interests at both state and national levels. Its policy is determined by a board of directors with an executive committee headed by the president of the association. Since 1914 it has published a magazine, "The Cattleman", that provides news of the industry to its membership. The organization's office is located in Fort Worth, Texas.
For more information, visit TSCRA’s website at http://www.texascattleraisers.org/.
Minutes and proceedings, reports, financial records, legislation, correspondence, photographs, maps, printed material and sound recordings document the organization, development, operation, activities and membership of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. Membership records consist mostly of dropped membership lists. The Chanslor E. Weymouth subcollection contains records of the Association's cattle disease eradication programs of the 1940s and 1950s, board and committee records, and financial records. Weymouth served as president from 1946 to 1948. The records of secretary-general manager Don C. King (1966-1995) form part of the archive as well.
These records are stored remotely. Advance notice required for retrieval. Contact repository for retrieval.
Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association Records, 1877-1968, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Sharon Atchison, January 1969. Subsequent revisions were made by Anne H. Takemoto, November 1972.
Detailed Description of the Papers