Alpha Phi Omega:
An Inventory of Its Records, 1952-2009, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Organized on the Texas Technological College campus as the Eagle Scout Club in the fall of 1938, the club officially became the Beta Sigma Chapter on April 30, 1939. A service organization, APO is a national service fraternity affliated with the Boys Scouts of America. The chapter was recognized in 1942 for having the nation's largest pledging class. Service projects have included placing benches across campus, helping conduct student elections and the Carol of Lights events, planning homecoming activities, sponsoring a Cub Scout den for handicapped students at Ballinger School, and establishing an endowment fund through the sale of football games. In 1976, the organization became co-ed and has been involved in community projects for the Lubbock State School, the Adopt-a-City project, Habitat for Humanity, and the South Plains Food Bank. It’s creed is "to provide service to all humanity".
This one box collection consists of materials from various Alpha Phi Omega conventions, both national and regional, administrative files, correspondence, fundraising and event materials, and newsletters. It also contains 63 prints.
Open for research.
Alpha Phi Omega Records, 1952-2009, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Accession #(s): 2016-0147-B.
Michaela de la Houssaye, 2017
Detailed Description of the Collection