An Inventory of Its Records, 1889-1893, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
The Nicolett Hotel, constructed in 1888 and 1889, was one of the earliest structures in the city of Lubbock. Two prominent ranchers from the IOA Ranch and founders of North Lubbock, Frank Emerson Wheelock and Rollie Clyde Burns, purchased the materials for the hotel and had them shipped into Amarillo via train and then brought south to Lubbock County by wagon. The building was an early meeting place for regional pioneers, and it even served as the location where rivals from two early Lubbock County communities, North Lubbock and South Lubbock, met to determine the final location of the city of Lubbock in late-1890. Located initially at the townsite of North Lubbock, the Nicolett Hotel was moved in 1891 to its final location in modern downtown Lubbock where it stood until being demolished most likely sometime in the 1940s. The register features patrons from across the Texas South Plains and Panhandle, as well as some from other parts of the United States and at least one international visitor.
This collection consists of a single register that contains of patrons entries ranging in date from 1889 to 1893.
The register can be viewed in its entirety in digital format among the Southwest Collection’s Digital Collections.
Open for research
Nicolett Hotel Records, 1889-1893, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection accession #(s): n/a