Bar S Ranch:
An Inventory of Its Records, 1872-1939, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Located in Reagan County and Irion County, Texas, this 172,000 acre ranch was originally owned by the Sawyer Cattle Company (1884-1954). Later it was owned by the Blakley Braniff Association from 1954, when W. A. Blakley purchased the ranch, until 1975, when the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children became the owner. The ranch was managed by Louis Farr and his son and grandson, Louis Farr, Jr. and Louis Farr III, from 1918-1969. The name of the ranch was changed to Rocker b in 1954.
The collection contains business correspondence, legal documents such as leases, contracts, warranty deeds, bonds, and agreements, and financial documents such as promissory notes, receipts, redemption certificates, and cancelled checks of the Bar S Ranch (later the Rocker b).
Open for research.
Some archival collections may be housed in storage outside of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library building. Requests to retrieve such materials may take up to 10 business days to complete. Please contact our Reference Department to arrange retrieval.
Audio, video, and film recordings may not be immediately accessible due to format, condition, or copyright status. All items must be digitized prior to patron use. Because not all collections materials have been digitized, please contact the Reference Archivist at least 10 days prior to arrival in order to coordinate digitization. Though we can digitize much of our holdings within two weeks, some media may be fragile and require specialized digitization outsourcing, which can take up to three months for completion.
Bar S Ranch Records, 1872-1939, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection accession #(s):
Processed by: Abel Ramirez, July 2002