Texas School for the Deaf:
An Inventory of School for the Deaf Minutes and Agenda at the Texas State Archives, 1982-1998
Texas Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb was created in 1856. It changed its name to Texas Deaf and Dumb Institution about 1868, to Texas Institution for the Deaf and Dumb about 1871, and to Texas Deaf and Dumb Asylum about 1887. In fiscal year 1911 the name was changed to its current designation, the Texas School for the Deaf.
The original Institution was governed by 5 trustees named by the governor; the board appointed the superintendant except for a period between 1876 and 1883, when the governor appointed the superintendant. In 1951, control over the School for the Deaf passed to the Texas Central Education Agency, and the Commissioner of Education appointed the superintendant (Senate Bill 393, 52nd Texas Legislature, Regular Session).
Since 1979 (Senate Bill 1156, 66th Texas Legislature, Regular Session), the Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) has been governed by a board comprised of nine unsalaried members, appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the state senate, for six-year terms. Originally three of the nine had to be deaf, three parents of deaf persons, and three experienced in working with the deaf; all were selected from a list nominated by the State Board of Education. In 1981 (Senate Bill 29, 67th Texas Legislature, Regular Session), the School for the Deaf was removed from the control of the Texas Education Agency, becoming a separate state agency (and also an Independent School District). And in 1991 (Senate Bill 478, 72nd Texas Legislature, Regular Session), further requirements to the composition of the board were added: one of the deaf members must be an alumnus of the Texas School for the Deaf; and one of the parents of a deaf child, and one of the professionals, must also be deaf. (This means that now five members must be deaf.) The board is directed to organize and conduct itself like the board of a local school district and thus, in addition to overseeing the provision of all TSD services, has specific responsibilities related to budget preparation, policy adoption and appointment of the superintendent.
In 1887 (Substitute House Bill 445, 20th Texas Legislature, Regular Session), the Asylum for Deaf and Dumb and Blind Colored Youth was created, governed by three commissioners. In 1930, black orphans began to be admitted to the newly designated Deaf, Dumb and Blind Asylum for Colored Youths and Colored Orphans. Three more name changes followed: in 1943, to the State School for Deaf and Blind Negro Children; in 1947, to the Texas Blind, Deaf and Orphan School; and in 1965, to the Texas Blind and Deaf School (finally placed under the Texas Education Agency by Senate Bill 143, 59th Texas Legislature, Regular Session). With desegregation in 1966, black students were merged with white students in the Texas School for the Blind and the Texas School for the Deaf respectively.
(Sources include: Guide to Texas State Agencies, 11th edition (2001); the article on "Texas School for the Deaf" by Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, in The Handbook of Texas Online; the agency web site (http://www.tsd.state.tx.us), both accessed August 2006; the Texas Education Code, Sections 30.051-052; and the enabling legislation, 1887, 1951, 1865, 1979, 1981, and 1991.)
The nine-member Governing Board for the Texas School for the Deaf oversees the provision of all Texas School for the Deaf services, and as an Independent School District (ISD), it has specific responsibilities related to budget preparation, policy adoption, and appointment of the superintendent. These records document those activities, and consist of copies of minutes, agenda, and some supporting documentation (including operating budgets, consulting services contracts, memoranda, correspondence, etc.), dating 1982-1998.
To prepare this inventory, the described materials were cursorily reviewed to delineate series, to confirm the accuracy of contents lists, to provide an estimate of dates covered, and to determine record types.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
Most records created by Texas state agencies are not copyrighted and may be freely used in any way. State records also include materials received by, not created by, state agencies. Copyright remains with the creator. The researcher is responsible for complying with U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.).
(Identify the item), Texas School for the Deaf minutes and agenda. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Accession numbers: 1998/128, 2002/172, 2004/203, 2007/002
These records were transferred to the Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission by the Texas School for the Deaf on May 26, 1998; and by the Texas Legislative Reference Library on August 8, 2002; July 15, 2004; and September 11, 2006.
Tony Black, September 2006
The Texas School for the Deaf has mounted its recent agenda and minutes in PDF format on the agency web site (http://www.tsd.state.tx.us/gov_board/agenda_minutes.html).
The record copies of minutes and agenda are maintained by the Texas School for the Deaf.
Detailed Description of the Records