Contact Us

Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Overview

Agency History

Scope and Contents of the Records

Organization of the Records

Restrictions

Index Terms

Related Material

Administrative Information

Description of Series

Meeting records, 1953-2017,

Executive director files, about 1961-1994, 2000-2009,

Archaeology Division records, 1995-2001,

Architecture Division records, 1981-2017,

History Programs Division records, about 1880-2016, undated, bulk 1960-1975, 2007-2016,

Community Heritage Division records, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1985, 1990-1999, undated, bulk 1980-1982, 1990-1994,

Marketing Communications Division records, 1955-1998, 2002, undated,

Goddess of Liberty report, 1897, 1963, 1984,

Texas State Library and Archives Commission

Texas Historical Commission:

An Introduction to Historical Commission Records at the Texas State Archives, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, about 1880-2017, undated, bulk 1955-2002



Overview

Creator: Texas Historical Commission.
Title: Historical Commission records
Dates: 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, about 1880-2017, undated
Dates (Bulk): bulk 1955-2002
Abstract: The Texas Historical Commission protects and preserves the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, education, economic benefit, and enjoyment of present and future generations. These records include minutes, meeting files, correspondence, reports, clippings, litigation files, photographs, and other materials of the Texas Historical Commission and its predecessor, the Texas State Historical Survey Committee. Dates covered are 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, about 1880-2017, and undated, the bulk dating 1955-2002. Also present are minutes of several advisory boards affiliated with the Historical Commission including the Antiquities Advisory Committee, State Board of Review, Advisory Board of the Texas Preservation Trust Fund, and Guardians of the Texas Preservation Trust Fund. Some series in this finding aid have been processed; others are still undergoing processing. All series yet to be processed are included in the framework of the finding aid. As these series are processed, this finding aid will be updated.
Quantity: 200.68 cubic ft. and 76.11 GB (47, 796 files) [processed records];
Quantity: about 27.24 cubic ft. [unprocessed records]
Repository: Texas State Archives
Sponsor: This EAD finding aid was created in part with funds provided by the Texas Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund Board for the Texas Archival Resources Online project.

Agency History

The Texas State Historical Survey Committee (TSHSC) was created on a temporary basis in 1953 (Senate Concurrent Resolution 44, Texas 53rd Legislature, Regular Session) to administer a comprehensive state program for historical preservation; it was given more permanent status in 1957 (Senate Bill 426, 55th Legislature, Regular Session). The committee was composed of eighteen members appointed for six-year terms by the governor. It had the power to erect historical markers, to check the historical accuracy of inscriptions prepared for markers by any individual or group, and to certify the historical worthiness of any historical property the state determined to purchase. In 1962 the TSHSC formed the Official Texas Historical Marker Program to record Texas historic sites in all 254 counties. Staff evaluated applications and made recommendations to the State Marker Review Board and then prepared marker inscriptions. State law authorized county judges to appoint county historical survey committees. These committees allowed the TSHSC to coordinate and cooperate in activities throughout the state. By 1966 each county had formed a historical survey committee. State law also allowed commissioners courts to appropriate money from the general fund to finance the activities of county historical survey committees and to erect historical markers and acquire objects of historical significance. In addition, cities and counties were authorized to spend funds to operate historical museums.

The TSHSC created a program called RAMPS in 1964. It called for the Recording, Appreciation, Marking, Preservation, and Surveying (RAMPS) of Texas history. One of the basic objectives was to erect 5,000 official Texas historical markers in five years. The 5000th marker was approved on October 27, 1969. The committee created and/or approved several types of markers, including building markers, small subject and large subject markers, grave markers, medallions, private state approved markers, 1936 centennial markers, and large Civil War centennial markers. The historical markers were erected to mark structures; archeological finds; mountain passes; old trails; Indian camp and burial grounds; sites of battles and skirmishes; sites related to important events in cattle, agricultural, and petroleum industries; unique weather sites; early railroads; famous gunfights; early business and educational institutions; and birthplaces or homes of outstanding Texans. The markers gave information on the date of founding, origin of name, and history of many towns and counties, including towns that no longer existed. The TSHSC became the Texas Historical Commission (THC) in 1973 (House Bill 1512, 63rd Legislature, Regular Session). In the 1980s and 1990s the commission continued to work on the identification and preservation of historic sites. It administered a number of grant programs, including the Texas Historic Preservation Grant Program, Texas Preservation Trust Fund, and museum grants. It also administered special projects such as the Old San Antonio Road project and Women's History Month. The commission worked to conduct extensive surveys of historic properties across the state, along with reviews of the impact of construction and other building projects on historic and archeological sites.

The Texas Historical Commission is composed of 11 members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate, serving overlapping six-year terms. Members must be citizens of Texas who have demonstrated an interest in the preservation of the state's historical heritage and represent all geographical areas of Texas. Beginning in 1995, the membership must include a professional archeologist, a professional historian, and a licensed architect, and two of the members must be from counties with populations of less than 50,000. The governor names the chairperson. The members appoint an executive director to administer the agency.

The THC administers programs to preserve the architectural, archeological, historical, and cultural resources of Texas. The mission of the THC is to protect and preserve the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, education, economic benefit, and enjoyment of present and future generations. Duties of the agency include preservation consultation with the public; providing leadership to heritage organizations and county historical commissions; working with communities to protect Texas' architectural heritage, including operation of the Texas Main Street Program; administering the state's historical marker program; working with property owners to save archeological sites on private land; ensuring archeological sites are protected as land is developed for public construction projects; consulting with citizens and groups to nominate properties for historical and archeological landmark status and for the National Register of Historic Places; and making historical attractions a cornerstone of the Texas travel industry. The THC also maintains the , a database of more than 300,000 historic site records; was involved with the La Salle excavations; and was involved with the development of the Bob Bullock State History Museum that opened in Austin in 2001.

In the late 1990s, the Texas Historical Commission went through an agency restructuring in which several divisions were combined. As of 2017, the agency consists of eight divisions that carry out the responsibilities of the agency. The Administration Division oversees budgetary, planning, and other executive functions. The Community Heritage Division acts in partnership with communities and regions to revitalize historic areas, stimulate tourism, and encourage economic development. This division operates the Main Street Program, the Heritage Tourism Program, and the Certified Local Government Program. The Archeology Division works to identify, investigate, record, and preserve Texas' archeological heritage and engages in a number of programs to educate and assist the public in accordance with the National Historic Preservation Act and the Antiquities Code of Texas. The Architecture Division is dedicated to protecting Texas' diverse historic architecture by administering architectural grants, monitoring the state's National Historical Landmarks, and reviewing proposed changes to Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks. The History Programs Division provides preservation assistance to county historical commissions, museums, nonprofit preservation organizations, state and federal agencies, local governments, students, educators, and the general public. This division operates the National Register Program and the Local History Program. The Historic Sites Division is responsible for overseeing the agency's 21 historic attractions located throughout the state. Staff members in this division welcome visitors, provide educational opportunities and exhibits, preserve historic structures and artifacts, and work with partner organizations in their communities. The Marketing Communications Division is responsible for developing outreach programs and increasing awareness of the agency's projects and initiatives. This division issues a monthly newsletter, The Medallion, provides production services for other departments, assists with public outreach, and helps coordinate the agency's annual museum conference. Staff Services handles personnel, accounting, and other staff functions.

There are several boards associated with the Texas Historical Commission. The State Board of Review evaluates nominations to the National Register of Historic Places. The Antiquities Advisory Board evaluates nominations for State Archeological Landmark status and considers issues associated with the Antiquities Code of Texas. The Guardians of Texas Preservation Trust Fund cultivates and develops sources of support for the trust fund and advises the commission of potential donors of property or other assets. The Advisory Board of the Texas Preservation Trust Fund makes recommendations on Trust Fund grant allocations and advises on matters relating to more efficient utilization or enhancement of the fund. The Main Street Interagency Council evaluates applications for the Main Street programs.

The Texas Antiquities Committee was affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission until it was abolished in 1995. The Texas Antiquities Committee was created by Senate Bill 58, 61st Legislature, 2nd Called Session (1969). This committee was the legal custodian of all state archeological resources and it adopted rules to protect and preserve these resources. It designated state archeological landmarks, issued permits for activities that impacted archeological sites, oversaw staff efforts to ensure compliance with the Texas Antiquities Code, maintained an inventory of items recovered and retained by the State of Texas, and contracted or otherwise provided for discovery operations and scientific investigations of sunken or abandoned ships and their contents. In 1995, the committee was abolished (Senate Bill 365, 74th Legislature, Regular Session). Its duties were absorbed by the Texas Historical Commission and are carried out through its Archeology Division. The legislation that abolished the Antiquities Committee allowed for an advisory body to be created to assist the Texas Historical Commission on issues relating to the Antiquities Code of Texas. In 1995, the THC created the Texas Antiquities Advisory Board. The board provides recommendations on proposed State Archeological Landmarks designations and assists in resolving disputes regarding issuance of Texas Antiquities permits.

Also affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission between 1971 and 1983 was the Texas Historical Resources Development Council. The council promoted communication among its member agencies in their coordinated efforts to develop and publicize the historical resources of Texas.

(Sources include: Guide to Texas State Agencies, various editions; General and Special Laws, various years; the Texas Historical Commission website; and Latimer, Truett, and Laurie E. Jasinski, "Texas Historical Commission," Handbook of Texas Online, both accessed on February 20, 2018; and the records themselves.)

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Contents of the Records

The Texas Historical Commission protects and preserves the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, education, economic benefit, and enjoyment of present and future generations. These records include minutes, agenda, meeting files, administrative correspondence, reports, photographs, clippings, litigation files, electronic records, and other files of the Texas Historical Commission and its predecessor, the Texas State Historical Survey Committee. Dates covered are 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, about 1880-2017, and undated, the bulk dating 1955-2002.

Files of the Texas Historical Commission (THC) include minutes, agenda, exhibits, and meeting files, dating 1953-2017. Records from the executive director include correspondence and administrative files along with meeting and correspondence files of the executive director's role as the State Historic Preservation Officer, as a member of the Texas Conservation Foundation, and as a member of the Texas Sesquicentennial Commission, dating about 1961-1994, 2000-2009. Archaeology Division records include project files from the LaSalle Project, such as archeological excavations of the Belle, one of LaSalle's ships found in the Gulf of Mexico along the Texas coast. Architecture Division records include Texas Preservation Trust Fund and Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program grant reports, needs assessment files for endangered historic properties and architectural drawings, dating 1981-2017. History Program Division records include clippings concerning county historical commissions and the Historical Marker Program files. Community Heritage Division records document the Main Street Program and the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project. Marketing Communications Division records include press releases and public service announcements, brochures, pamphlets and other publications, and speeches that document THC publishing activities in the 1960s and 1970s. Also included is a Goddess of Liberty report prepared by Edward Hamilton.

Also present are minutes of several advisory boards, including the Texas Antiquities Advisory Board (the board that advises the THC on State Archeological Landmark designations and issues involving Texas Antiquities permits); the State Board of Review (the board that determines which buildings will be listed on the National Register of Historic Places); and the Advisory Board of the Texas Preservation Trust Fund and the Guardians of the Texas Preservation Trust Fund (boards which assist the Historical Commission with Texas Preservation Trust Fund grants and sources for grant funds).

Records of the Texas State Historical Survey Committee, the predecessor to the Texas Historical Commission, can be found in several series, notably Meeting records, Executive director files, and several series within the records of the History Programs Division including County historical files, County historical committee program files, and Historical marker program administrative files.

This finding aid serves as an overview for the records of the Texas Historical Commission. Most divisions have their own detailed finding aids. A few series are unprocessed. Links to the other finding aids of Texas Historical Commission records are given in the descriptions of the various division's records or in the series descriptions for the single-series finding aids.

Return to the Table of Contents


Organization of the Records

The records are organized into 25 series:
Meeting records, 1953-2017, 19.75 cubic ft.
Executive director files, about 1961-1994, 2000-2009, about 22 cubic ft. [unprocessed]
Archeology Division
  • Texas Antiquities Advisory Board minutes, 1994-2001, 0.24 cubic ft. [unprocessed]
  • LaSalle Project files, 1995-1997, 5 cubic ft. [unprocessed]
Architecture Division
  • Advisory board minutes, 1989-2008, 0.5 cubic ft.
  • Preservation grant reports, 1981-1985, 1999-2011, undated, 7.84 cubic ft. and 2.16 GB (916 files)
  • Endangered historic properties needs assessment files, 1987-1993, 1998, bulk 1987-1991, 3.29 cubic ft.
  • Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program records, 1992, 1999-2017, 90.94 cubic ft. and 70.9 GB (44,241 files)
History Programs Division
  • State Board of Review minutes and agenda, 1983-1995, 0.25 cubic ft.
  • County historical files, 1953-1979, undated, 21.16 cubic ft.
  • County historical committee program files, 1965-1974, 0.5 cubic ft.
  • Historical marker program administrative files, 1955-1984, bulk 1961-1966, 3 cubic ft.
  • Historical marker files, 1962-2016, 3.05 GB (2,639 files)
  • County historic photographic projects, about 1880-1989, undated, 0.96 cubic ft.
  • Historic resource slides, maps and drawing files, 1970s-2000s, 22 cubic ft.
  • Survey and inventory files of historic resources, 1921-1949, 1986-1996, bulk 1992-1996, 4 cubic ft.
Community Heritage Division
  • Main Street Program files, 1979-1985, bulk 1980-1982, 2 cubic ft.
    • Reading files, 1981-1982, 1 cubic ft.
    • Administrative files, 1979-1985, bulk 1980-1981, 1 cubic ft.
  • Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated, bulk 1990-1994, 8.13 cubic ft.
    • Publication development files, about 1990-1996, undated, bulk 1991-1994, 2.71 cubic ft.
    • Research files, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated, bulk 1990-1994, 5.42 cubic ft.
Marketing Communications Division
  • Publications Division records, 1960-1982, undated, 5.71 cubic ft.
  • Press releases, publications, and conference announcements, 1955-1998, 2002, undated, 0.47 cubic ft.
Goddess of Liberty report, 1897, 1963, 1984, 0.05 cubic ft.

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Because of the possibility that portions of these records fall under Public Information Act exceptions including, but not limited to, certain email addresses (Texas Government Code, Section 552.137); home addresses and phone numbers of government employees and officials (Texas Government Code, Section 552.117); and account numbers and access device numbers (Texas Government Code, Section 552.136) an archivist must review these records before they can be accessed for research. The records may be requested for research under the provisions of the Public Information Act (Texas Government Code, Chapter 552).

The researcher may request an interview with an archivist or submit a request by mail (Texas State Library and Archives Commission, P.O. Box 12927, Austin, TX 78711), fax (512-463-5436), email (director.librarian@tsl.texas.gov), or see our web page (https://www.tsl.texas.gov/agency/customer/pia.html). Include enough description and detail about the information requested to enable the archivist to accurately identify and locate the information. If our review reveals information that may be excepted by the Public Information Act, we are obligated to seek an open records decision from the Attorney General on whether the records can be released. The Public Information Act allows the Archives ten working days after receiving a request to make this determination. The Attorney General has 45 working days to render a decision. Alternately, the Archives can inform you of the nature of the potentially excepted information and if you agree, that information can be redacted or removed and you can access the remainder of the records.

Restrictions on Use

Most records created by state agencies are not copyrighted. State records also include materials received by, not created by, state agencies. Copyright remains with the creator. The researcher is responsible for complying with U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.).

Technical Requirements

Researchers are required to wear gloves provided by the Archives when reviewing photographic materials.

Some of the architectural drawings are too large to photocopy.

Certain electronic record file formats (.cr2, AutoCAD) require specific software not available at the State Archives. Researchers are expected to obtain the proper software needed if requesting these original file formats. Access copies of certain electronic file formats will be provided for public use when available.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

The terms listed here were used to catalog the records. The terms can be used to find similar or related records.
Corporate Names:
Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project.
Texas Historical Commission. State Board of Review.
Texas Main Street Project.
Texas Preservation Trust Fund. Advisory Board.
Texas Preservation Trust Fund. Committee.
Texas State Historical Survey Committee.
Subjects (Organizations):
Texas Preservation Trust Fund.
Texas Preservation Trust Fund. Guardians.
Texas State Historical Survey Committee.
Subjects:
Archaeology and state--Texas.
Courthouses--Conservation and restoration--Texas.
Goddess of Liberty (Austin, Tex.)
Historic buildings--Conservation and restoration--Texas.
Historic buildings--Texas.
Historic preservation--Texas.
Historic sites--Texas.
Historical markers--Texas.
Public buildings--Conservation and restoration--Texas.
Places:
Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--History.
Rio Grande Valley (Colo.-Mexico and Tex.)--History.
Texas--Antiquities.
Texas--Cultural policy.
Document Types:
Architectural drawings (visual works)--Texas.
Clippings (information artifacts)--Texas.
Correspondence--Texas.
Digital file formats--Texas.
Digital images--Texas.
Maps (documents)--Texas.
Memorandums--Texas.
Minutes (administrative records)--Texas.
Newsletters--Texas.
Photographs--Texas.
Press releases--Texas.
Publications--Texas.
Reports--Texas.
Functions:
Protection of historic sites.
Historic preservation.
Documentation of historic sites.

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

The following materials are offered as possible sources of further information on the agencies and subjects covered by the records. The listing is not exhaustive.

Texas State Archives
F. Lee Lawrence papers, about 1955-about 1962, 1 cubic ft. [There is no finding aid available for these unprocessed papers. Call number is 2000/022.]
Ruffini Collection, about 1877-1937, undated, bulk 1883-1912, undated, 1.65 cubic ft., 626 architectural drawings, 21 prints and photographs, 1 artifact [There are related Ruffini materials for several structures in the series Preservation grant reports and the series Endangered historic properties needs assessment files.]
Texas 1986 Sesquicentennial Commission records, 1978-1987, 331.73 cubic ft.
Texas Antiquities Committee records, 1969-1995, 10.47 cubic ft.
Texas Conservation Foundation records, 1970-1991, 1994, 3 cubic ft.
Texas Historical Foundation records, 1966-1981, undated, bulk 1972-1980, 3.5 cubic ft.
Texas Legislature, House of Representatives, Cultural and Historical Resources Committee, 1978-1991, 10 cubic ft.
Texas Legislature, House of Representatives, Records of Representative Don Cavness, 1966-1971, 0.65 cubic ft. [Records regard Platoro litigation and creation of Texas Antiquities Committee.]
Texas Library and Historical Commission chairman's files, 1929-1965, bulk 1944-1952, undated, 5.84 cubic ft.
Texas Old San Antonio Road Commission records, 1979, 1988-1993, bulk 1988-1993, 3 cubic ft.
Texas State Historical Survey Committee records, 1861-1865, 1902-1911, 1955-1971, bulk 1961-1967, 16.53 cubic ft.
Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History
These are artifacts and some records concerning a 1554 shipwreck excavated off Padre Island. This Museum is the Marine Archeology Repository for the State of Texas.
Padre Island Shipwreck Collection, 1554
Southwest Collection, Texas Tech University
The collection includes Preston Smith's gubernatorial records. There are likely related files from or concerning the Governor's Office on Antiquities and the formation of the Texas Antiquities Committee.
Smith, Preston E. Papers, 1930-1975 and undated, 1,500,000 leaves

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

(Identify the item and cite the series), Texas Historical Commission records. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.

Accession Information

Accession numbers: 1984/070, 1984/096, 1987/038, 1990/020, 1990/138, 1998/066, 1999/088, 1999/118, 1999/174, 2000/020, 2000/021, 2000/075, 2000/079, 2000/089, 2000/092, 2001/023, 2001/056, 2001/087, 2002/103, 2002/121, 2002/122, 2003/071, 2007/075, 2007/100, 2007/108, 2008/045, 2008/184, 2009/047, 2009/083, 2009/090, 2009/164, 2010/041, 2010/052, 2010/101, 2011/126, 2011/134, 2011/279, 2011/431, 2012/089, 2012/111, 2012/142, 2012/143, 2012/185, 2013/020, 2013/098, 2013/147, 2013/148, 2014/065, 2014/094, 2015/052, 2016/148, 2017/021, 2017/024, 2017/044, 2017/092, 2017/132, 2017/137, 2017/138, 2018/034, 2018/065, 2018/088, and unassigned accessions

These records were transferred to the Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission by the Texas Historical Commission on December 12, 1983; February 17, 1984; November 4, 1986; October 19, 1989; May 15, 1990; December 7, 1997; October 21, 1998; January 11, June 24, September 28, and December 7 and 20, 1999; January 8, March 7, October 9, and November 6, 2000; February 7, April 4, and October 25, 2002; December 18, 2006; February 23, March 7, and October 23, 2007; August 22 and October 27, 2008; January 8 and 22, August 10, November 17, December 13 and 16, 2009; April 5 and November 17, 2010; January 19, July 26, and December 15, 2011; March 20, July 10, and September 25, 2012; February 28 and June 13, 2013; January 23, April 23, and October 30, 2014; June 23, 2015 (accessioned for control purposes on March 13, 2018); January (accessioned for control purposes on October 11, 2016), October 14 and November 9, 2016; March 8, July 6, August 9 and 14, and November 3, 2017; January 23, 2018; by the Texas Documents Collection of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission on March 5, 1999; and by the Texas Legislative Reference Library on March 27, 2002 (reaccessioned on February 3, 2012); September 14, 2010; and December 13, 2012 (accessioned for control purposes on May 20, 2016).

Processing Information

Processed by Tony Black, May 1990

New accessions by Laura K. Saegert, April 1999, November 1999, May 2002

Several new series added to the finding aid by Laura K. Saegert, October 2002, December 2002, February-April 2004

Overall finding aid split into several finding aids due to online file size limitations by Laura K. Saegert, June 2004

Update to LRL accession information by Rebecca Romanchuk, February 2012

New accessions and Texas Digital Archive link added by Halley Grogan, February 2018

Appraisal Information

The records of the Historical Commission were appraised by Texas State Archives staff on February 5, 1999. Twenty-seven current record series at the agency were determined to be archival; four series of non-current and unscheduled records were also determined to be archival. The appraisal report can be found in the search room of the State Archives.

Accruals

Minutes and meeting files of the Historical Commission are transferred to the Archives on a regular basis.

Location of Originals

The Texas Historical Commission and the county body overseeing the work also hold a set of the master plans, drawings, and project completion reports located in the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program records series.

Return to the Table of Contents


Other Finding Aids

Electronic records described in this finding aid are part of the Texas Digital Archive, available online at https://tsl.access.preservica.com/tda/texas-state-agencies/thc.

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Records

Meeting records, 1953-2017,
19.75 cubic ft.

The Texas Historical Commission protects and preserves the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, education, economic benefit, and enjoyment of present and future generations. Records are minutes, agenda, and exhibits of the Texas State Historical Survey Committee meetings, from 1953 to 1973; and the Texas Historical Commission, dating 1973-2017. Materials present include agenda, minutes, committee reports, resolutions, correspondence, lists of appointees to associated boards, quarterly reports from programs, rules and regulations, historic preservation and antiquities laws and/or changes to the laws, copies of agreements, press releases, lists of sites nominated for historical markers or landmark status, historical marker dedication calendars, lists of gifts and donations, lists of grants approved, attendance sheets for guests at the meetings, and newsletters, reports and other publications of the agency.
If you are reading this electronically, click on the link to go the full finding aid: Texas Historical Commission meeting records. If you are reading this in paper, the series finding aid is found in a separate divider within the binder.

Return to the Table of Contents




Executive director files, about 1961-1994, 2000-2009,
about 22 cubic ft.

The Texas Historical Commission protects and preserves the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, education, economic benefit, and enjoyment of present and future generations. Records include executive director files including correspondence and subject files, department files, legislative files, reading files, calendars and appointment book, and executive office administrative correspondence. Correspondence from Executive Director Curtis Tunnell is included with these records. Also included are meeting files, correspondence and project files related to membership on the Texas Conservation Fund, the Texas Sesquicentennial Commission, and the State Historic Preservation Officers. Records date from about 1961-1994, 2000-2009.
This series is not yet processed. Call numbers are 2000/020; 2011/425; 2011/428; 2012/149 and 2014/067. A link to the finding aid will be added when processing is completed.

Return to the Table of Contents




Archaeology Division records, 1995-2001,
5.24 cubic ft.

The Archeology Division of the Texas Historical Commission works to identify, investigate, record and preserve Texas' archeological heritage and engages in a number of programs to educate and assist the public in accordance with the National Historic Preservation Act and the Antiquities Code of Texas. Records consist of minutes from the meetings of the Texas Antiquities Advisory Board, and notes, reports, photographs, computer disks, and other project files from the LaSalle Project, dating 1995-2001.
This series is not yet processed. Call numbers are 2000/089; 2001/023; 2002/121; 2011/121; 2011/386; and 2016/149. A link to the finding aid will be added when processing is completed.

Return to the Table of Contents




Architecture Division records, 1981-2017,
102.57 cubic ft. and 73.06 GB (45,157 files)

The Architecture Division of the Texas Historical Commission works to preserve and protect Texas' diverse architectural heritage by monitoring historical landmarks, awarding preservation grant funds for restoration work on historical structures, and offering advice and technical consultation for the restoration of or changes made to the state's architectural resources. These records consist of grant reports, minutes, agenda, correspondence, clippings, photographs, needs assessment files, compact discs, master plans, completion reports, and architectural drawings, dating 1981-2017. Records document meetings of several trust-fund-associated boards (Texas Preservation Trust Fund Committee, Advisory Board of the Texas Preservation Trust Fund, Guardians of the Texas Preservation Trust Fund, and Architecture Committee Trust Fund Advisory Board), the Architecture Committee and the Courthouse Committee. The records also document the assessment of preservation needs for endangered historic properties and restoration work on historical buildings through preservation grant funding, including courthouses restored through the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program.
If you are reading this electronically, click on the link to go the full finding aid: Texas Historical Commission Architecture Division records. If you are reading this in paper, the finding aid is found in a separate divider within the binder.

Return to the Table of Contents




History Programs Division records, about 1880-2016, undated, bulk 1960-1975, 2007-2016,
51.87 cubic ft. and 3.05 GB (2,639 files)

The History Programs Division of the Texas Historical Commission provides preservation assistance to county historical commissions, museums, nonprofit preservation organizations, state and federal agencies, local governments, students, educators, and the general public. Records in these files include correspondence, memos, minutes, surveys, inscriptions, lists and project files of historical markers, membership lists and activity reports of county historical commissions, clippings, county historical commission newsletters and other publications, programs of local events, photographs, slides, negatives, maps, lists of donors to the Texas Historical Foundation, contracts, bids, and specifications for building historical markers, and electronic records. Dates covered are about 1880-2016, undated, with the bulk dating 1960-1975, 2007-2016. The files document the application for and erection of historical markers throughout the state in the early to mid-1960s (and some Confederate markers out of state), a survey undertaken by the Texas State Historical Survey Committee to gather information about historical markers and other historical and cultural resources in Texas counties, the interaction of the Texas State Historical Survey Committee/Texas Historical Commission with county historical committees, documentation of county historic projects, actions of the State Board of Review in regard to nomination of sites to be added to the National Register of Historic Places, and historic resource images of historic locations throughout Texas.
If you are reading this electronically, click on the link to go the full finding aid: Texas Historical Commission History Programs Division records. If you are reading this in paper, the finding aid is found in a separate divider within the binder.

Return to the Table of Contents




Community Heritage Division records, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1985, 1990-1999, undated, bulk 1980-1982, 1990-1994,
10.13 cubic ft.

The Community Heritage Division of the Texas Historical Commission acts in partnership with communities and regions to revitalize historic areas, stimulate tourism, and encourage economic development. This division operates the Main Street Program, the Heritage Tourism Program, and the Certified Local Government Program. Records consists of correspondence, memoranda, project proposals, community profiles, committee minutes, clippings, assessments of historic architecture, photographs, slides, maps, illustrations and drawings, conference proceedings, notes, reports, and publications. The files cover the years 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1985, 1990-1999, undated, bulk 1980-1982, 1990-1994, and document two programs of the Texas Historical Commission's Community Heritage Division: the Main Street Program, and a regional documentation project of the Heritage Tourism Program, the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project.
The Main Street Program selects smaller cities and towns and works with them to revitalize their downtown centers. The records cover the beginning years of the program, from Texas' initial proposal to be part of the national main street program, through the first few years of the program's operation. There is a set of reading files of the Main Street Program director, containing memos and outgoing correspondence with community leaders and others about the Main Street project and with organizations and local people in specific cities involved in the project. There is also a set of files concerning the project proposal Texas prepared in 1980 and sent to the National Main Street Center to be accepted as a pilot project state. Dates of the Main Street Program files are 1979-1985, bulk 1980-1982.
The Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project was undertaken as part of the Heritage Tourism Program to promote and preserve historic sites along the Los Caminos del Rio heritage corridor, an area of about 200 miles along the Texas-Mexican border between Laredo and Brownsville. The bulk of the files consist of photographic media, most being photographs taken by THC staff to document sites in the corridor, largely focusing on several cities and towns. Of special note is a large group of photographs from Guerrero Viejo, a colonial Mexican town inundated in 1953 when the Falcon Reservoir was built on the Rio Grande. Also present are the maps, photographs, and original artwork used in the project's publications, A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 1st edition (1991), and the 2nd edition (1994); and A Shared Experience: A Teacher's Companion (1994). Dates of the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files are 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated, bulk 1990-1994.
If you are reading this electronically, click on the link to go the full finding aid: Texas Historical Commission Community Heritage Division records. If you are reading this in paper, the finding aid is found in a separate divider within the binder.

Return to the Table of Contents




Marketing Communications Division records, 1955-1998, 2002, undated,
6.18 cubic ft.

The Marketing Communications Division, formerly the Publications Division of the Texas Historical Commission, is responsible for developing outreach programs and increasing awareness of the agency's projects and initiatives. This division issues a monthly newsletter, The Medallion, provides production services for other departments, assists with public outreach, and helps coordinate the agency's annual museum conference. Records document the publishing activities of the THC in the 1960s and the 1970s, award recognitions, press releases and other public outreach, and the THC's museum conferences and annual meetings. Types of records include news releases and public service announcements; newspaper clippings and journal articles; newsletters, brochures, pamphlets and other publications; drafts of speeches and introductions; drafts of publications; correspondence (both incoming and outgoing) and memoranda; annual and biennial reports; minutes of meetings; workshop programs, lists of participants, and other workshop materials; copies of legislation and administrative rules; resumes; notes; etc. Dates covered are 1955-1998, 2002, undated. The press releases announce events and projects of the THC, such as archaeological excavations, new publications, exhibits, preservation or restoration projects, upcoming conferences, and appointments or resignations. Publications consist largely of brochures about history awareness or the work of the THC.
If you are reading this electronically, click on the link to go the full finding aid: Texas Historical Commission Marketing Communications Division records. If you are reading this in paper, the finding aid is found in a separate divider within the binder.

Return to the Table of Contents




Goddess of Liberty report, 1897, 1963, 1984,
0.05 cubic ft.

This is a Texas Historical Commission report containing several clippings and a cover sheet of information about the Goddess of Liberty, the figure atop the Texas State Capitol Dome. The clippings are dated 1897, 1963, and 1984; the cover sheet is dated 1984, and was prepared by Edward Hamilton. This is a copy of the original report which is held by the Texas Historical Commission.
If you are reading this electronically, click on the link to go the full finding aid: Texas Historical Commission Goddess of Liberty report. If you are reading this in paper, the finding aid is found in a separate divider within the binder.

Return to the Table of Contents