Guide to the Conrad Blucher Surveying Collection
The Conrad Blucher Surveying Collection (CBSC) represents the work of Felix A. von Blucher, his son Charles F. H. von Blucher, and grandson Conrad M. Blucher. A German immigrant to Corpus Christi in the 1840s, Felix Blucher served as Nueces County’s first elected County Surveyor. After he died in the 1870s, Felix was replaced by his son Charles, who served until 1933, when he relinquished the position to his son Conrad. Over the years, these three professionals generated over four hundred survey field books and either created or accumulated thousand of maps, making the CBSC a monumental record of private land ownership in South Texas.
The Conrad Blucher Surveying Collection represents a major research and educational resource at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Assembled by three generations of Nueces County surveyors belonging to the historic Blucher family, the CBSC contains a voluminous number of surveying documents covering over a century of South Texas development (1840s-1950s.) The CBSC covers such South Texas counties as Nueces, San Patricio, Kleberg, Jim Wells, Brooks, Duval, Willacy, Kenedy, and others. A treasure of South Texas surveying, the CBSC especially enhances the University’s Geographic Information Science Program, as well as serves the needs of the larger community.
Open for research.
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from Special Collections and Archives, Mary and Jeff Bell Library, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Gift of the Blucher Family, 1994.
Accessioned as number 86.
The collection was housed at the Nueces County Surveyor’s office where it was utilized and maintained by County Surveyor William W. Green, Conrad Blucher’s protégé, until he retired in 1994. In that year, the entire collection was transferred to the University where it is now part of the non-circulating holdings of Special Collections and Archives of the Bell Library.
Conrad Blucher Surveying Collection, Box Number, Folder Number, Special Collections and Archives, Mary and Jeff Bell Library, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.
These materials are accessible through an extensive four volume set of indexes compiled by the Blucher Engineering Company before Conrad Blucher retired in 1953. These indexes are in alphabetical order according to clients’ names.
This collection is presently being rehoused and digitized. It awaits further description.