Constitution of the City of Sabine, Texas
Manuscript Collection: MC183
The town of Sabine Pass, Texas, originally chartered Sabine City, was established in 1839; it was projected to be a major Gulf port with cattle and cotton the port's major shipments. Eventually the name was formally changed to the more commonly used name of Sabine Pass in 1861. As a result of the Civil War, Forts Sabine and Griffin were constructed to fend off Union attacks at Sabine Pass. A major Civil War engagement, the Battle of Sabine Pass, took place in 1863 in which Union troops were prevented from taking over the major port. By 1880, Sabine Pass was the second largest town in Jefferson County; however, hurricane and storm damage, and the refusal of the majority land owners to further develop the area led to the decline of Sabine Pass and the growth of Port Arthur.
The four-page Constitution of the City of Sabine, Texas, is dated January 19, 1839 and was signed at the City of Houston in the Republic of Texas by seven of the original eight shareholders: Sam Houston, Philip Sublette, Niles F. Smith, J. S. Roberts, A. G. Kellogg, Geo. W. Hockley and W. Douglass Lee. A typescript of the constitution is included.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use
Open for research by appointment.
Copyright has not been assigned to the San Jacinto Museum of History. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Library Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Jacinto Museum of History as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
[Identification of Item], Constitution of the City of Sabine, Texas, MC183, San Jacinto Museum of History, Houston, Texas.
Dr. W. G. Hugly, prior to 1944.
Processed by Lisa M. Lomas, 2012.