TABLE OF CONTENTS
Hendricks Family Papers
An Inventory of the Collection
William and Ida Hinrichs immigrated to Texas from Germany in the late 1870s. They had two sons, Edgar and Theodore William. Theodore was born on May 22, 1879, and Edgar was born August 3, 1885. The family moved into a house at 309 E. 16th Street in Austin, Texas, and rebuilt the house around 1883 to match German architectural style. After the death of William, Ida married F. C. Wedig in 1893. She died in 1938 at the age of 77.
Edgar Hinrichs married Fannie Lou McPhail in 1907 and they had four children together: William Robert, John Frank, Theodora, and Ivy Lou. Edgar died in 1942 and was buried in Eastland City Cemetery in Eastland, Texas.
Theodore married Kathryn Roberts on December 22, 1902. They had two children, Edgar Robert and Kathryn Clinton. Edgar was born February 7, 1905, and Katheryn on January 31, 1907. Theodore was a bookkeeper and salesman for Bassists & Co. of Elgin from 1900 to 1905. Until 1909, he was a traveling salesman for Nelson Davis & Co. of Austin. Because of ill health he had to give up this work. He and his family moved to Llano, and when his health improved he opened a wholesale business there. His health again declined and he died at the age of 35 in 1914. He was buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Austin.
Kathryn Roberts Hinrichs was born August 19, 1879 in Dripping Springs, Texas. Her parents were Jacob F. and Brazoria Beatrice Lincecum Roberts. One of Jacob’s brothers was Daniel Webster Roberts who gained some fame as a captain in the Texas Rangers. Jacob served in the Civil War and was also a Texas Ranger before settling in Dripping Springs.
After Theodore died in 1914, Kathryn and the children moved to San Antonio, Texas, where her brother lived. She died in San Antonio on June 30, 1973, and was buried in Phillips Cemetery in Dripping Springs. Both of her children’s deaths preceded hers with Edgar Robert passing away in 1953 and Kathryn Clinton in 1961. The children were also buried in Phillips Cemetery.
The Hinrichs's name was Americanized at some point before World War II to Hendricks.
This collection contains .2 linear feet of correspondence, certificates, legal documents, and genealogical materials, and over .4 linear feet of photographs. Of note is an autograph book kept by Kathryn Roberts in 1892 when she was around 13 years old. The correspondence is separated into postcards dating from 1907 to 1920 and letters dating from 1888 to 1954. The postcards are primarily addressed to Mrs. Theo Hinrichs in Llano, Texas, and depict images from various Texas towns as well as holiday greetings. The letters are also primarily sent to and from Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Hinrichs. Of note is a letter Theodore wrote to J.F. Roberts in 1902 asking for Kathryn's hand in marriage.
Invitations and brochures from 1906 to 1907 document the activities of the Hinrichs's family, such as involvement in the New Century Club and grand opening announcements for stores. Of note is an invitation to the inaugural ball for Governor Thomas M. Campbell in 1907. The legal documents consist of deeds of trusts primarily dating between 1919 and 1923 concerning Kathryn Hinrichs's sale of land in Llano, Texas. News clippings date mostly from the 1940s and 1950s and relate to members of the Roberts, Lincecum, and Hendricks families. Of note is an article from 1953 about the Hinrichs home on East 16th Street that was taken over as the state headquarters for the Texas Daughters of the American Revolution.
There are 123 black-and-white photographs which capture such subjects as the family's homes in Elgin and Llano, storefronts, and candid snapshots of people. Studio portraits make up the bulk of the prints, however. Many are cabinet photographs dating back to the early 1900s. Ida Wallace, Theodore Hinrichs, Edgar Hinrichs, and Katheryn Roberts Hinrichs are represented. There are 72 nitrate negatives, of which some prints have been made. A list that designates which prints in the collection have corresponding negatives is available here. Additionally, there are two undated photograph albums in the collection that contain assorted family photographs.
Open to all users
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Materials were donated by a descendent of the Hendricks family.
Hendricks Family Papers (AR.1991.048). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1988/022
Donation Date: 1988 March 30
Initial inventory by Ruth Baker in May 2000. Final processing and encoded finding aid by Kelly Hanus in June 2018.