George Savage Photographs
An Inventory of the Collection
George Roland Savage was a bacteriologist and hobbyist photographer who lived in Austin, Texas in the early 1950s. Born in Fort Worth, Texas on April 2, 1928, he attended McLean Junior High School and R.L. Paschal High School. He worked at a printing plant during World War II when there was a labor shortage, but he also graduated as valedictorian from his high school class. He was involved in ROTC and tried to join the Army but was rejected on medical grounds. At 16, he started at North Texas State College in Denton, and while in college he worked as a dentist's assistant. Then Savage attended the University of Texas at Austin in the early 1950s where he earned his Master's in bacteriology. He studied under Dr. O.B. Williams. After graduating from UT, Savage and a friend got jobs at a hospital in Carlsbad, New Mexico. In Carlsbad Savage met (Helen) Jeanne Riley, an x-ray technician at the hospital, and she would become his wife in 1955. He also joined a camera club at this point. The Savages moved to Ohio, then Arkansas, later Kansas, and eventually retired to Las Vegas, Nevada. He was involved with Masonic lodges in various locations and kept up his photography hobby. George and Jeanne had a daughter Carol who died from breast cancer in 1995, and another daughter Mary. Jeanne died in 2011 and George died from Parkinson's disease in 2012.
44 black-and-white photographs by George Savage document buildings in Austin and the University of Texas at Austin in the early 1950s. Among the identified buildings are the Capitol, the Texas State Department of Health building at 412 East 5th Street, the Carpenter Paper Company building at 2201 East 6th Street, and the O. Henry House. The University of Texas buildings pictured include the Littlefield House, the Main Building and Tower, the Scottish Rite Dormitory, the Texas Memorial Museum, Gregory Gymnasium, Battle Hall, and the statue of James Hogg. There are several photographs of both the exterior and interior of the Experimental Science Building, including images of students doing experiments. The only identified individual in the photographs is Dr. O.B. Williams. There are 12 photographs of unidentified buildings and locations, many of which are possibly not in Austin. A few photographs have captions on their backs written by George Savage, but most were labeled by his daughter Mary.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Donated by George Savage's daughter, Mary Savage.
George Savage Photographs (AR.2015.020). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/2015/014
Donation Date: 2015 March 03
Finding aid created and encoded by Nicole Davis/October 2015.
Detailed Description of the Collection