East Avenue Baptist Church Records
An Inventory of the Collection
The East Avenue Baptist Church started as a Mission Sunday School in the eastern part of Austin, Texas in 1884 and was affiliated with the First Baptist Church. The Sunday school expanded and became the Second Street Baptist Church in 1886. When the Church outgrew the 2nd Street building a new tabernacle was built on the corner of 1st Street and East Avenue and in 1908 the Second Street Baptist Church was formally dissolved and on December 6, 1908 the East Avenue Baptist Church was organized with 80 people present as the charter membership. Starting in the early 1920s the congregation began raising money for a more permanent structure and in 1923 the cornerstone was laid and the basement level of the church was completed. The building was completed in 1927 and could accommodate 700 people, roughly the size of the congregation. The last services were held in 1964 at which time the building was turned over to the Austin Baptist Association to be used as a rescue mission.
The collection contains a small portion of the records of the Second Street Baptist Church and the East Avenue Baptist Church dating from 1900 to 1983. Included are two ledgers listing the names of the members, how/when they were received, how/when dismissed along with meeting minutes, one dated from 1900 to 1904 and the other from 1925 to 1936. The remaining materials, financial records, membership rolls, Sunday School meeting minutes and church reunion records, are all related to the East Avenue Baptist Church and are dated from the 1930s and 1980s.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Donated by the daughter of a member of the congregation that was the Chairman of the Reunion.
East Avenue Baptist Church Records (AR.2014.046). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/2014/041
Donation Date: 2014
Collection processed and finding aid created by Molly Hults in 2015.
Detailed Description of the Collection