TABLE OF CONTENTS
Tumey Family Photograph Album
An Inventory of the Collection
The Tumey Family lived in Austin, Texas in the early 20th century. Thomas L. Tumey was born in Kentucky in 1849 to Thomas House and Elizabeth Jane Tumey. He was married to Mary Elizabeth Simpson (1851-1919). As of 1937 they lived at 105 1/2 West Mary Street. Their children were Thomas House (1871-1952), Samuel Lawson (1873-1942), George William (1874-1936), Alfred Simpson (1876-1955), Hortense (1878-1945), and Maude (1881-1965). Thomas L. Tumey was a utilityman for the City Street and Bridge Department. He died in Austin in 1937 and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery. Thomas House Tumey (1871-1952) was married to Elizabeth Jane Tumey and they had a son, Thomas Lawson Tumey (1906-1964). He worked as a mechanic and was married to Empress Cleo Tumey (1908-1998) who was the daughter of James Solomon and Della Parthenia Swofford. In 1935 they lived at 1904 Eva Street.
349 black-and-white photographs document the Tumey Family from 1935 to 1939. It is unclear who exactly owned and created the album. The majority of photos are snapshots and informal portraits, presumably of family and friends but few of the photographs are identified. Individuals who are named include Thomas L. Tumey (1849-1937), Empressaria Tumey, Flores, Mary Jo and Rollin, Lillian, Charlie O., Glad and Keek, the Rice family, cousin Alice Johnson, Kat, Stel., brother D.L. Holland's family, Ethel, and Genelle. There is a picture of an Etta who graduated from 'Texas University' in August 1935; this is possibly Etta Golenternek. Scenes include men in front of Southern Oil Gas Company mechanic shop owned by D.L. Holland; Church of Christ buildings (one possibly located at 1000 Brodie Street) and social gatherings; the Tower at the University of Texas at Austin and other buildings on campus; interiors of an unidentified grocery store; classroom scenes with high school students at an unidentified school; Boy Scout Troop 19 camping and with a radio merit badge display; family houses; an unidentified shop with a Kodak photo display; a group of boys wearing "Safety Patrol" sashes; graduates in caps and gowns in 1939; and outdoor baptisms(?).
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
The album was donated anonymously, so custodial history is unknown. It was originally attributed to AR.1991.076, The Desk and Derrick Club of Austin Scrapbooks, but no connection between this album and that collection could be ascertained so it was separated from that collection.
Tumey Family Photograph Album (AR.2012.027), Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: unknown
Donation Date: unknown
Finding aid created and encoded by Nicole Davis/2015.