D. C. Freeman House Records and Waterloo Compound Scrapbook
An Inventory to the Collection
The Austin History Center first acquired the D. C. Freeman House records by donation from Joseph Powell "Bix" Barentine III, a Texas Lawyer and the last owner of the historic 19th century home at 610 East 3rd Street in Austin, Texas. Barentine later donated the "Waterloo Compound" scrapbook that chronicled the history of the entire 600 East 3rd Street block. The building at 610 East 3rd Street is named after D.C. Freeman, who acquired the property from the State of Texas in 1853, and is thus the earliest known owner of the home. Various residents occupied building and adjacent properties on the lot encompassing the 600 block of East 3rd over the course of the property's long history. Among those tenants were Andrew A. Agnew, a prominent Austin printer, William Sydney Porter, known by his nom-de-plume O. Henry, and Peter G. Roach, the legal guardian of Porter's wife Athol Esters. Barentine acquired the home in 1979 from Roger S. Hanks and William B. Houston. Shortly thereafter, the City of Austin required Barentine to begin repairing the structure and grounds. In the early 1980s, Austin's Department of Parks and Recreation took up correspondence with the owners and residents of the 600 block regarding plans for construction of a bike path. Barentine was the last resident at 610 East 3rd, which burnt in September of 1983. The Waterloo Compound got its name because it an original groupings of some of the oldest commercial buildings in Austin located where the Waterloo settlement was established. In 1966 the store that was located on the corner of of East 3rd and Red River Streets originally owned by the Hofheinz family was purchased and restored and became Waterloo Compound Antiques and Interiors. This would be the first of several buildings on the block that were restored for commercial use and would be known as the Waterloo Compound from the 1960s through 2000.
The D. C. Freeman House records and Waterloo Compound Scrapbook consist of legal and financial documents, letters, short historical narratives, photographs and captions, and photographic negatives documenting the ownership, tenancy, historic preservation, and city planning issues concerning the house at 610 East 3rd Street, Waterloo Compound, and the 600 block of East 3rd Street, in Austin, Texas (1857-2001).
The D. C. Freeman House series (1857-2001) consists of legal and financial documents, letters, short historical narratives, and photographic negatives documenting the ownership, tenancy, and city planning issues concerning the house at 610 East 3rd Street, and the 600 block of East 3rd Street, in Austin, Texas. The bulk of the records, which stem from 1978-82, are financial records of and letters to Joseph Powell Barentine III concerning the renovation and ownership of the Freeman (D.C.) House, as well as the City of Austin's plans for park development on sections of Barentine's property.
The Waterloo Compound Scrapbook series (1965-2015) consists of captioned photographs, a historical narrative, and a Historic Preservation Commission documentation package concerning Waterloo Compound, as the grouping of historic commercial buildings located at the corner of Red River and East 3rd Street was known, and the 600 block of East 3rd Street. The photographs and captions, which stem from 1970-1983, document the Waterloo Compound Antique Shop and the restoration of the houses and commercial buildings on the 600 block.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
D. C. Freeman House Records and Waterloo Compound Scrapbook (AR.2001.001). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1980/058
Donation Date: 2001 April 16 and 2001 May 2; 2017 September.
Processing Information: Initial Inventory and Preliminary Processing By/Date: Rebecca Rich-Wulfmeyer, May 2001; Final Processing and Finding Aid By/Date: Stephen Naron, February 22, 2002; Encoded By: Lauren Waelder, 2014 May. Updated by Mara West in 2017
The D. C. Freeman House records had no original order and were arranged by document type upon accession.
The Waterloo Compound Scrapbook was disassembled and foldered in its original order.
Detailed Description of the Collection