Howson Community Welfare Association Records
An Inventory of the Collection
The Community Welfare Association established the Howson Community Center in 1929 as a resource for the African American Community. The association and the community leaders felt that there was a need for a building that could serve as a meeting space for clubs and organizations engaged in social, educational, and community wellness activities.
In the past, the Howson Community Center has housed the following events and organizations: nursery school programs, The National Administration Community Chest, local government and non-federated clubs, well-baby clinics, Negro Citizens Council, Girl Scouts, Federation of Women's Clubs, The American Woodmen, The Brush Burners Girls Reserve (sponsored by the YWCA), classes in art, and parenting education, and sewing guilds sponsored by the Federal Resettlement Act.
This collection contains research material relating to the history of the Howson Center (1958-2003), correspondence regarding the building's listing on the national register and a renovation grant (1986), legal material showing the deed of conveyance for the property (1929), printed material regarding a second renovation (1987), and a community ad booklet (1991), and a photograph depicting the Howson Community Center (undated).
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
Howson Community Center
Howson Community Welfare Association Records (AR. 2011.030). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.
Donor #: DO/2011/045
Donation Date: September, 2011
Processed and encoded by Cynthia Evans in 2012
Detailed Description of the Collection