TABLE OF CONTENTS
American Institute of Architects Austin Chapter Records
An Inventory to the Collection
On February 23, 1857, thirteen architects met in New York City to form what would become the American Institute of Architects (AIA). The group sought to create an architecture organization that would "promote the scientific and practical perfection of its members" and "elevate the standing of the profession." In 1857 the mission statement was modified to read, "The objects of this Institute are to unite in fellowship the Architects of this continent, and to combine their efforts so as to promote the artistic, scientific, and practical efficiency of the profession." Over time, these precepts have been further refined, but the basic objectives have remained the same.
By the mid-1860's architects from other cities wanted to join the AIA and it was determined that local chapters could be organized. By 1887, AIA chapters had been formed in Philadelphia, Chicago, Cincinnati, Boston, Baltimore, Albany, Rhode Island, San Francisco, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Washington, D.C.
The current Austin chapter of the American Institute of Architects was incorporated in 1957. Previous to this, the chapter was part of the Texas Chapter of the AIA formed in 1913, then part of West Texas Chapter centered in San Antonio when the Texas chapter was split into three regional chapters in 1924. Then, in 1938, the Austin area architects requested to separate from the San Antonio group and formed the Central Texas chapter. Today the AIA Austin is the third largest chapter of the national professional association in Texas. AIA Austin provides the architecture community with resources and relationships to make a difference through design by opening doors, providing connections, and keeping their members and the public informed.
The Local Governing Materials series contains binders of accumulated governing materials dated 1929-1947, 1953, 1975, and 1988-1990. The materials dated from 1929-1953 contain membership materials, correspondence, reports, and meeting minutes. These materials document the activities and membership of the chapter as well provide insight into discussions concerning state and local zoning and planning laws; concerns of the building industry during difficult times such as the Depression in the 1930 and World War II; the promotion of professional certification in Texas (Texas Architects Registration Law); educating the public of the advantages of using an architect; professional ethics and new materials and techniques in the building industry The later years, 1988-1990, contain similar materials in addition to membership directories, agendas, financial reports,and by-laws. Also included are materials from the Bylaws Committee dated from 1975 concerning revising the chapter bylaws.
The State and National Organization series includes materials related to the Texas Society of Architects (TSA) and the American Institute of Architects (AIA) national office dating from 1938 through 1953. Included are TSA bylaws and committee assignments for the joint TSA and AIA convention in 1953. The AIA national materials include bulletins, national standard documents and guidelines and membership lists dated from 1938 through 1953.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In Some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
American Institute of Architects Austin Chapter (AR.2009.006). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Finding aid created and encoded by Mallori White/2016.
Original three ringed binders removed and contents foldered in original order.