TABLE OF CONTENTS
Westwood Country Club Records
An Inventory to the Collection
Planning for the Westwood Country Club started in 1955 and the formal opening was in May of 1957. The nucleus of the club is located in the former home of Judge J.W. McClendon at Mount Bonnell Road and West 35th Street facing Lake Austin (Ladybird Lake). Additional structures were built to accommodate various recreational pursuits such as swimming, boating, and tennis. The architectural firm Fehr and Granger drafted the plans for the family country club. The original cost estimate was $500,000 and they planned to limit membership to 450 members. Original members of the board of the Westwood Country Club building corporation were Joe M. Teague, R. E. Janes Jr., Charles D. Nash, R. F. Siddons Jr., William B. Saunders, Leon Stone, Thomas A. Graham, Joseph L. Pojman and E. A. Jones. Directors of the Westwood Country Club operating corporation were Charles F. Herrig, Sterling Saser, Verno Blomquist, Joe Crow, Hollis Lovell Jr., H. C. Bell, Marvin C. Turner, Dr. Lee Scarbrough, Dr. Clary Bates, Hub Bechtol, Ivan C. Belknap, John B. Nations, Dr. Allen H. Neighbors Jr., Joseph L. Pojman and R. F. Siddons Jr.
This is a small collection documents two distinct periods of the Westwood Country Club. There are (.2 linear feet) of materials pertaining to the planning stages (1955-1957) of the Westwood Country Club. The materials were donated by the wife of Arthur Fehr, chairman of the building committee and partner in the architectural firm responsible for drafting the plans for the club. There are agendas and meeting minutes that highlight discussions about financing the construction of the club as well as financial records. Also included are copies of the by-laws with penciled in suggestions for modification, membership lists, membership rosters (1958-1960, 1970-1978) and marketing materials. Additions of digital photographs (.jpg) dating from circa 1990-2018 documenting various interior and exterior views of the country club buildings and grounds were added.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Physical Characteristics or Technical Requirements
Access to digital files in this finding aid are only available through a dedicated workstation in the Austin History Center Reading Room.
Organizational materials donated by the wife of one of the original members.
Westwood Country Club Records (AR.W.2009). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1961/010
Donation Date: 1985; 2018
Donor #: DO/1991/092
Donation Date: 2018
Finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults/2010
Digital files processed and integrated into the finding aid by Nikki Koehlert March 2018
Born-digital content (.jpg) was received via USB flash drive media. Born-digital materials were processed in accordance with the AHC's digital processing guidelines including disk imaging, virus scan, and checksums.
The USB flash media was disk imaged on March 30, 2018 to create master preservation copies and to extract the content files.
Access copies follow the file naming schema of the creator.