TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Goforth, Texas, Collection, 1922-1934, 1959
Goforth was a thriving cotton farm community established 22 miles south of Austin in eastern Hays County. It was named for landowner and merchant James Taylor Goforth (1849-1915). Business activity in Goforth was at its height between 1880 and 1906 until soil erosion and worn out farmland combined to accelerate the decline around the mid 1920s. The community persisted as the site of a school for local Mexican Americans until 1948, when the school closed.
Around 1922, Robert D. Campbell, from the Texas-Mexican Presbytery organized a Mexican Presbyterian Church in Goforth. Initially, the church counted 15 adult members and a number of kids. Meetings took place at the ranch of Willie Casselberry (married as Willie Kluck), who had sponsored the organization of the church and was the director of the Sunday school.
Daniel P. Greene, Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Consisting of correspondence, financial records, proceedings, photographs, memorabilia and a scrapbook, the Goforth, Texas, Collection, 1922-1934, 1959, documents the efforts of Willie Casselberry to establish a Mexican Presbyterian Church in Goforth, Texas.
The Willie Casselberry records include correspondence concerning the running of the church and the donations made, and some memorabilia such as religious trading cards and a lock of hair. The Mexican Presbyterian Church at Goforth records compile bank statements, receipts, accounting papers and meeting proceedings. The scrapbook includes a recount in Spanish of the church history and Sunday school attendance lists during 1923 and 1924, as well as a large number of portraits of the Mexican American community and different church buildings, correspondence and religious ephemera.
This collection is open for research use.
Goforth, Texas, Collection, 1922-1934, 1959, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Paloma Graciani Picardo, August 2014.