TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Computation Center Records, circa 1966-1974
The UT Computation Center, founded by mathematics professor Dr. David M. Young, Jr. circa 1958, is located underground east of the Main Building on the University of Texas at Austin campus. The Computation Center has historically provided services to faculty and students involved with computer-based courses and research. The CDC 6600, then one of the fastest supercomputers in the world, was acquired by the university in the summer of 1966 for $5,926,850.
"In Memoriam: David Monaghan Young, Jr." Memorial Resolutions and Biographical Sketches. Faculty Council. University of Texas at Austin. Accessed April 18, 2014. http://www.utexas.edu/faculty/council/2009-2010/memorials/young.html.
"We have world’s biggest computer."The Alcalde. Austin, TX: Ex-Students Association of the University of Texas, June 1966.
The UT Computation Center Records consist of publications and manuals regarding the Control Data Corporation (CDC) 6600 supercomputer installed in the UT Computation Center in 1966.
This collection is open for research use.
UT Computation Center Records, circa 1966-1974, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by archives staff, May 2003.
Subsequent revisions were made by Vanessa Attia, April 2014.