Harrisburg, Texas, Stock Certificate, 1839
Surveyed by Francis W. Johnson in 1826, the city of Harrisburg (Harrisburgh until 1892) in Harris County, Texas was burned by the forces of Mexican general Santa Anna in 1836 during the Texas Revolution. By the following year, the town had recovered and was incorporated. In 1839, Harrisburg and Hamilton were consolidated, bringing the population to around 1,400.
Robert Wilson (1793-1856), the recipient of the stock certificate, joined John Richardson Harris in developing Harrisburg. In 1829, he owned a gristmill and sawmill in the town, before Santa Anna destroyed them. During the Texas Revolution, Wilson served as colonel and raised money and volunteers. Following the war, Wilson promoted Houston and Hamilton before ran for president but only received twenty-five votes.
Muir, Andrew Forest. "Harrisburg, Texas (Harris County)."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed June 3, 2011.
Southwick, Leslie H. "Wilson, RobertHandbook of Texas Online. Accessed June 3, 2011.
The Harrisburg (Texas), Stock Certificate, 1839, documents the sale of 400 shares of consolidated stock from the town of Harrisburg to Robert Wilson. Trustees John Birdsall, David G. Burnet, and John W. Moore signed the certificate.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no use restrictions on this collection. Publisher is responsible for complying with copyright law.
Harrisburg, Texas, Stock Certificate, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center's History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Collection