TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Barr, Davenport, and Murphy Records, 1808-1811
In 1798 Peter Samuel Davenport entered into partnership with William Barr, Luther Smith, and Edward Murphy under the name House of Barr and Davenport, and the firm soon secured a monopoly on trade with all Texas Indians from the Spanish government. Davenport became the local agent for the business and in time established his headquarters in the Old Stone Fort in Nacogdoches. In 1810, as the sole surviving partner, he continued to operate the enterprise on his own and became independently wealthy.
Records concern the disposition of M. Edward B. Murphy’s share in the firm of Barr, Davenport, and Murphy in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
Barr, Davenport, and Murphy Records, 1808-1811, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.