TABLE OF CONTENTS
Texas Tech University Library Faculty Committees:
An Inventory of Its Records, 1993- , at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
The first library, with approximately 11,000 books and pamphlets according to Texas Technological College's 1925-1926 catalog, was located on the main floor in a room in the west wing of the Administration Building and was opened in 1925 with Elizabeth Howard West as its first librarian. Accredited to Elizabeth West’s "awareness of the advantages in the Library of Congress Classification for an academic library" from the time spent working at the Library of Congress, the Texas Tech Library has used the Library of Congress Classification from its beginning. Miss West has also been credited with giving the name of La Ventana, "the Window," to the Tech annual. The first free standing Library building was opened in the fall of 1938. A larger library was built in the early 1960s to accommodate the growing collection of books and serials as well as to provide more study and group interaction space for students. The current library building, located west of the Student Union Building, was dedicated in the fall of 1962. The original library building, which resides in the Science Quad near Memorial Circle, is now known as the Mathematics Building.
The Texas Tech University Library serves as a resource for information that provides support to the University's teaching, research, and service mission and its quest for excellence in all endeavors. Serving both on campus and in the larger community, the Library provides information resources by participating in reciprocal borrowing agreements among libraries in the state and nation. One of two regional depositories for U.S. government documents in Texas, the Library also serves as a depository for U. S. patents and trademarks, and for Texas State Documents. It is comprised of three branches - the Texas Tech University Library, the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, and the Architecture Library. Texas Tech Librarians and Archivists received academic status in 1993 and were granted tenure status in 2007.
This one box collection contains the meeting minutes, agendas and activity summaries for the Executive Committee, procedure documents and guidelines for the Promotion and Tenure Committee, activity summary for the Faculty Research Committee, and other files related to Library faculty continuing appointment, comprehensive performance evaluation and promotion and tenure.
Open for research. Materials do not circulate, but may be used in the Holden Reading Room of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library. Materials will be retrieved from and returned to storage by staff members. More information on the SWC/SCL's Holding Reading Room procedures
Restrictions on Use
Copyright remains with the creator. The researcher is responsible for complying with U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.).
U 112.4 Texas Tech University Library Faculty Committee Records, 1993- , Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Processed by: Lynn Whitfield, 2019