TABLE OF CONTENTS
An Inventory of Its Records, 1889-1893, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
The Nicolett Hotel, constructed in 1888 and 1889, was one of the earliest structures in the city of Lubbock. Two prominent ranchers from the IOA Ranch and founders of North Lubbock, Frank Emerson Wheelock and Rollie Clyde Burns, purchased the materials for the hotel and had them shipped into Amarillo via train and then brought south to Lubbock County by wagon. The building was an early meeting place for regional pioneers, and it even served as the location where rivals from two early Lubbock County communities, North Lubbock and South Lubbock, met to determine the final location of the city of Lubbock in late-1890. Located initially at the townsite of North Lubbock, the Nicolett Hotel was moved in 1891 to its final location in modern downtown Lubbock where it stood until being demolished most likely sometime in the 1940s. The register features patrons from across the Texas South Plains and Panhandle, as well as some from other parts of the United States and at least one international visitor.
This collection consists of a single register that contains of patrons entries ranging in date from 1889 to 1893.
The register can be viewed in its entirety in digital format among the Southwest Collection’s Digital Collections.
Open for research.
Some archival collections may be housed in storage outside of the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library building. Requests to retrieve such materials may take up to 10 business days to complete. Please contact our Reference Department to arrange retrieval.
Audio, video, and film recordings may not be immediately accessible due to format, condition, or copyright status. All items must be digitized prior to patron use. Because not all collections materials have been digitized, please contact the Reference Archivist at least 10 days prior to arrival in order to coordinate digitization. Though we can digitize much of our holdings within two weeks, some media may be fragile and require specialized digitization outsourcing, which can take up to three months for completion.
Copyright is retained by either the archives or the creators and authors of items in this collection, as stipulated by U.S. copyright law.
Duplication requests are limited by departmental policies. Please contact our Reference Department for further information.
Nicolett Hotel Records, 1889-1893, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection accession #(s):
Processed by: n/a