Fort Worth and Denver Railway Company:
An Inventory of Photographs, undated, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
The Fort Worth and Denver Railway Company was chartered in 1873 as the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company. The name was changed in 1951. In 1895, Grenville M. Dodge became president of the company. As the first rail line to penetrate Northwest Texas, the Fort Worth and Denver greatly influenced the area's growth. It actively promoted the growth of towns and farming to increase traffic for the line. The railway merged with the Burlington Northern in 1982 and in 1989 most of the line was abandoned in favor of trackage rights over the Santa Fe.
This collection consists of photographs of trains and scenes of railway stations and images of Fort Worth and Denver Railroad promotional material from near Amarillo, Texas.
Open for research
Fort Worth and Denver Railway Company Photograph Collection, undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas