Contact Us

Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Descriptive Summary

Creator Note

Scope and Contents

Arrangement

Restrictions

Index Terms

Related Material

Separated Material

Administrative Information

Description of Series

Wahrenberger Family, 1868-1890s, 1928-2007, undated

Lindeman Family, circa 1870s-1990, 2013, undated

Family Property Records, 1849-2001

Austin History Center

Wahrenberger and Lindeman Families Papers

An Inventory of the Collection



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Wahrenberger family, Lindeman family
Title: Wahrenberger and Lindeman Families Papers
Dates: 1849-2013
Dates (Bulk): 1870s-1970s
Abstract: This collection documents two Austin-based families related by marriage who descended from Swiss immigrant John Wahrenberger who settled his family in Austin, Texas, in 1839. The families papers consist of photographs, correspondence, genealogy research, memorabilia, and real property records dating largely from the 1870s to 1970s.
Accession number: AR.2019.034
Quantity: 2 linear feet (5 boxes); 0.399 GB (10 files)
Location: Archives Stacks, qAR, Digital Storage, Outer Vault
Language: English, German
Repository: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library,
810 Guadalupe, PO Box 2287, Austin, TX 78768

Creator Note

John Wahrenberger was born in Switzerland on March 16, 1812. In 1836, he immigrated to the United States where he first lived first in New Orleans, Louisiana. He moved to Austin, Texas, in 1839 and worked for a time as a gardener for early Texas legislator Louis P. Cooke. In 1842, he was involved in the Archives War, working to keep the state records and state capitol in Austin. He eventually owned a bakery, a hotel, and a café and considerable Austin real estate. He married Caroline Klein, daughter of Charles and Barbara Klein, on May 11, 1848, and they had several children: John, James, Mary, Josephine, Margaretha, Theophilus, and Anna. John Wahrenberger died on March 9, 1864 and is buried at Oakwood Cemetery. Caroline was remarried after John’s death to August B. Neumann. She died in Austin in 1916 and is also buried at Oakwood.

James Wahrenberger was born in Austin on August 9, 1855. In 1878, he opened an architectural practice in Austin after studying in Europe. He was the first architect in Texas to operate with a professional architecture degree. In 1883, Wahrenberger moved to San Antonio. Wahrenberger’s work includes the George W. Littlefield house in Austin (1893). He died on October 22, 1929 in San Antonio.

Mary Wahrenberger was born in 1857. She married Herman E. Lindeman, owner of a drugstore at the corner of 14th and Lavaca Streets in Austin. They had two sons, Charles Ernest and James Edward. Charles was born in 1883 and died in 1940. James Edward Lindeman was born in 1884. He married Elma Doyle and they had one son, James E. Lindeman, Jr., born in 1917. James E. Lindeman, Sr. died in 1941. James E. Lindeman, Jr. married Suzanne Menzel in 1950, and they had three children: Carol, James, and Anne. He passed away in 1996.

Josephine Wahrenberger was born in 1862. She married W. H. Cullen in 1883 and they had six children together. Cullen was a lifelong resident of Austin and was active in local politics. W. H. and Josephine Cullen both died in Austin in 1934 and are buried at Oakwood Cemetery.

John Carson Wahrenberger was born in 1862. He had two children, including Mary Agnes Wahrenberger Harritt, born in 1890.

Sources

Handbook of Texas Online, Randolph B. Campbell, "WAHRENBERGER, JOHN," accessed November 14, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwa10.

Handbook of Texas Online, Christopher Long, "WAHRENBERGER, JAMES," accessed November 14, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwa97.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Contents

The collection is arranged into three main series documenting the Wahrenbergers, Lindemans, and combined family property records. The Wahrenberger Family materials consist of genealogy research conducted between 1993-2007; photographs and correspondence related to Mary Agnes Wahrenberger Harritt; research and writings on John Wahrenberger; and research and essays about architect James Wahrenberger, including an annotated visitor's map of San Antonio with Wahrenberger's architecture highlighted. Additionally, the records contain an 1849 certificate from the Police Headquarters of Ludwigsburg written in German, possibly concerning emigration, as well as a United States citizenship certificate for Caroline Wahrenberger Neumann and her children dating from 1872. Photographs of buildings and cemeteries likely created during the research and writings about John and James Wahrenberger date from 1939-1978. Photographs were removed from two albums and document the family in the 1860s-1890s through cartes-de-visite portraits and cabinet card portraits. Austin photographers represented include H. B. Hillyer, Oliphant, H. R. Marks, and S. B. Hill. A Wahrenberger family account ledger documents purchases as well as property management of Lavaca properties and dates from 1872-1881 and 1933-1940. There is some overlap into the Lindeman family via Mary Wahrenberger Lindeman.

The Lindeman Family materials document three generations of the family: Herman Lindeman and Mary Wahrenberger Lindeman; James E. Lindeman, Sr. and Elma Doyle Lindeman; and James E. Lindeman, Jr. and Suzanne Menzel Lindeman. Collected family photographs dating from the 1880s-1958, as well as obituaries largely written in German in or around the 1870s are also included. The materials documenting Herman and Mary Lindeman consist of Mary's journal, photographs, and scrapbook, all dating to the 1870s-1880s, as well as tax records dating from 1929-1937. Their sons, Charles and James are documented through baptismal certificates, yearbooks, and photographs. There is also a copy of Charles E. Lindeman's last will and testament, dated 1939. James and Elma Doyle Lindeman's materials consist largely of Elma's correspondence dating from 1916-1976. Photographs documenting the Lindeman and Doyle families date from 1890-1930. Elma's 1907 high school diploma from Chicago is also in the records. James, Jr. and Suzanne Menzel Lindeman's materials include an account ledger for the Jim Lindeman Store for Boys at 1407 Lavaca Street dating from 1950-1960; correspondence; James Jr.'s professional materials from his time at The Steck Company; their daughter Carol's wedding photos; and their son James Lindeman III's memorial service audio and resolution from the Texas Senate on his passing in 2012.

The Family Property Records document the various properties purchased and granted to generations of the Wahrenberger-Lindeman family members. The main properties were on Congress Avenue and Lavaca Street. The Wahrenberger House is located at 208 West 14th Street and was lived in by both the Wahrenberger and Lindeman families. The records consist of deeds and grants from 1849-1916 as well as lease information, property research, and photographs. There are also negatives of 2603 Jarratt Avenue, where Elma Doyle Lindeman lived, as well as architectural plans and research for the Lindeman's house at 3403 Westledge Circle. There are also two land grants from the State of Texas - one to John Wahrenberger for Lot No. 9, Block 4 on Live Oak Street, and one to Samuel G. Haynie for Lot No. 5, Block 69 fronting on Congress Avenue, both dated 1849.

Return to the Table of Contents


Arrangement

Collection is arranged into three series:
Wahrenberger Family
Lindeman Family
Family Property Records

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Open to all users

Use Restrictions

The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.

Physical Characteristics or Technical Requirements

Access to digital content is only available through a dedicated workstation in the Austin History Center Reading Room.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

Subjects (Persons)
Lindeman, Herman, 1844-1886.
Lindeman, Mary Wahrenberger, 1857-1939.
Lindeman, Charles Ernest, 1883-1940.
Lindeman, James Edward, Sr., 1884-1941.
Lindeman, Elma Charlotte Doyle, 1889-1984.
Lindeman, James Edward, Jr., 1917-1996.
Lindeman, James Edward, III, 1954-2012.
Wheat, Anne.
Snyder, Suzanne Lindeman.
Wahrenberger, Caroline Klein, 1834-1916.
Wahrenberger, James, 1855-1929.
Wahrenberger, John, 1812-1864.
Glenn, John W.
Klein, Charles.
Wahrenberger, Johanna Seguin, 1858-1906.
Wahrenberger, Frank, 1878-1910.
Wahrenberger, Hedwig, 1879-1898.
Cullen, Josephine Wahrenberger, 1862-1934.
Roessner, Roland G.
Subjects (Organizations)
Texas Historical Commission.
Glenn and Wahrenberger, Engineers and Architects.
Texas German and English Academy.
Garrett & Ziller.
Jim Lindeman Store for Boys.
St. Martin's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Austin, Tex.).
The Steck Company.
Subjects
Swiss Americans--Texas--History.
Historic preservation--Texas--Austin.
Genealogy--Texas--Austin.
Family--Texas--Austin.
Architects--Texas.
Places
Austin (Tex.)--Genealogy.
Austin (Tex.)--Social life and customs.
Austin (Tex.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
208 West 14th Street (Austin, Tex.).
617 Congress Avenue (Austin, Tex.).
619 Congress Avenue (Austin, Tex.).
San Antonio (Tex.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
3403 Westledge Circle (Austin, Tex.).
Lavaca Street (Austin, Tex.).
Document Types
Biography files.
Booklets.
Certificates.
Cabinet photographs.
Cartes-de-visite.
Tintypes.
Black-and-white photographs.
Color photographs.
Clippings.
Correspondence.
Memorabilia.
Genealogical tables.
Journals.
Land grants.
Ledgers.
Legal documents.
Notes.
Real property records.

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

Archives & Manuscripts


Austin Files


  • AF Biography - John Wahrenberger, 1812-1864
  • AF House/Building - 208 West 14th. Street
  • AF Subject - Swiss S8700
  • AF Subject - Historic Landmarks H1200

Return to the Table of Contents


Separated Material

General Collection


  • A 920 FL Jeanette Flachmeier, Pioneer Austin Notables. 1975.

Periodicals


  • Austin Gossip Digest, May 1950

Maps


  • N-0001. Visitors map of Austin, Texas, "The Friendly City", 1941

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Custodial History

Donated by descendent of Mary Wahrenberger Lindeman line of the family.

Preferred Citation

Wahrenberger and Lindeman Families Papers (AR.2019.034). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.

Acquisition Information

Donor #: DO/2019/068

Donation Date: 2019 October 22

Processing Information

Processing and finding aid by Kelly Hanus in November 2019.

The born-digital files were received via compact disc. The materials were processed in accordance with the AHC's digital processing guidelines including disk imaging, virus scan, and checksums. For more information, see the Born-digital Processing Manual.

File names were modified during processing to enable files to be exported from the disk image and to comply with Austin History Center file naming schema. A list of the original files names is available.

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Collection

Wahrenberger Family, 1868-1890s, 1928-2007, undated

Box Folder
1 1 Wahrenberger genealogy research, 1993-2007, undated
2 Mary Agnes Wahrenberger Harritt's home in Conroe, Texas (#001-011), 1966-1996
3 John Wahrenberger research (removed from portfolio) (#012-017), 1930s-1970s
4 James Wahrenberger - Littlefield Home (#018), undated
5-6 “James Wahrenberger: First Texas Born Architect” by Anne Lindeman (removed from 3-ring binder) (#019-101), 1978 November 27
7 “Victorian Italian Renaissance Revival: Architects James Wahrenberger and Nicholas J. Clayton” by Anne Lindeman, 1978 March 13
Location FlatFile
qAR 03/11/007 Visitor's map of San Antonio with buildings designed by James Wahrenberger highlighted, circa 1970
Photographs, 1868-1890s, 1928-1978, undated
Box Folder
1 8 Buildings and cemetery photographs (#102-134), 1939-1978, undated
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault Color Neg. Drawer Buildings and cemetery negatives, 1978
Box Folder
1 9 James Wahrenberger photographs (#135-150), 1928-1936, undated
10 Photographs (removed from album) (#151-188), 1868-1874
11 Photographs (removed from album) (#189-246), 1880s-1890s
Box
2 Wahrenberger family account ledger, also used for Lavaca properties, 1872-1881, 1933-1940
Location FlatFile
qAR 03/11/008 Citizenship certificate of Caroline Wahrenberger Neumann and children, 1872
03/11/009 Police Headquarters of Ludwigsburg certificate, 1849

Return to the Table of Contents




Lindeman Family, circa 1870s-1990, 2013, undated

Box Folder
2 1 Family photographs (#247-410), 1880s-1893, 1919-1958
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Neg. Drawer Negatives - outdoor portraits, circa 1940s
Box Folder
2 2 Photographs (removed from album) (#411-467), 1880-1930
3 Obituaries, circa 1870s
Herman Lindeman and Mary Wahrenberger Lindeman, circa 1870s-1940s, undated
Box Folder
2 4 Pedagogie (journal) - Mary Wahrenberger Lindeman, circa 1880s
5 Photographs - Mary Wahrenberger Lindeman (#468-472), 1870s-1880s
Box Folder
3 1 Scrapbook, circa 1870s
2 Loose items from scrapbook, circa 1870s-1890s, 1940s
3 Tax records, 1929-1937
Children, 1903-1905, 1939, undated
Location FlatFile
qAR 03/11/010-011 Baptismal certificates - St. Martin's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1897 April
Box Folder
3 4 Charles E. Lindeman's yearbook "The Long Horn", 1903
5 Last Will and Testament of Charles E. Lindeman, 1939
6 James E. Lindeman's yearbook "The Long Horn", 1905
7 James E. Lindeman's "Wingless Angels" photographs (#473-474), 1905, undated
James E. Lindeman, Sr. and Elma Doyle Lindeman, 1890-1976
Box Folder
3 8-9 Elma Lindeman correspondence (#475-491), 1916-1976, undated
Box Folder
4 1 Lindeman-Doyle photographs (#492-511), circa 1890-1920, undated
2 Photographs removed from album (#512-616), 1916-1930
Location FlatFile
qAR 03/11/012 High school diploma - Elma Doyle, 1907
James E. Lindeman, Jr. and Suzanne Menzel Lindeman, 1946-1990, 2013, undated
Box
2 Account Ledger for Jim Lindeman Store for Boys at 1407 Lavaca Street, 1950-1960
Box Folder
4 3 Correspondence (#617-618), 1946, 1968-1990
4 James E. Lindeman, Jr. professional materials (#619-626), 1931-1945, 1985
5 Carol's wedding photographs (#627-633), 1979
6 Texas Senate Resolution for James Edward Lindeman III, 2013
DigitalStorage Folder
Open AR-2019-034-002 James Lindeman III memorial service, 2012
0.214 GB (1 file: 1 .aiff); (AIFF); born-digital

Return to the Table of Contents




Family Property Records, 1849-2001

Box Folder
4 7 Deeds and grants, 1849-1916
8 Charles Klein - deeds, grants, legal, 1859-1875
9 617 Congress Avenue - repairs and leases, 1937-1941
10 619 Congress Avenue - Site Plan Exemption Request, 2013
11 Congress Avenue photographs (#634-653), circa 1990s
12 Congress Avenue clippings, 1982-1988
13 14th and Lavaca properties expense ledger, 1941-1943
Box Folder
5 1 14th and Lavaca photographs (#654-658), circa 1880-1910
2 1401 Lavaca Street correspondence, 1940-1941
3 208 West 14th Street (#659-674), 1960-1990s
Location ArchivesCollection
Outer Vault B&W Neg. Drawer 208 West 14th Street and 2603 Jarratt Avenue negatives, circa 1950
DigitalStorage Folder
Open AR-2019-034-001 Wahrenberger House research, 2007 September
0.185 GB (9 files: 9 .tif); (TIFF); digitized
Box Folder
5 4 Historic Landmark research - 208 West 14th Street, 1970s
5 3403 Westledge Circle - Roessner, Architect, 1951-1997
6 "The Mid-Century Modern Residential Designs of Kelly R. McAdams, Nancy Reeves McAdams, and Roland G. Roessner in Central Austin: A Brief Tour" by Claire McAdams, PhD, 2001
Location FlatFile
qAR 03/11/013 Grant from State of Texas to John Wahrenberger - Lot No. 9, Block 4 on Live Oak Street, 1849
03/11/014 Grant from State of Texas to Samuel G. Haynie - Lot No. 5, Block 69 fronting on Congress Avenue, 1849
03/11/015 Annotated plat map of Glenview Addition, Jefferson Addition, 1938

Return to the Table of Contents