TABLE OF CONTENTS
Mothers' Club of Colorado School and Greenwood Cemetery Association Records
An Inventory of the Collection
The Colorado School was, and the Greenwood Cemetery still is, located in Del Valle in southeastern Travis County, Texas. Del Valle was established in the mid-1870s with a post office opening in 1878. The area was a farming community and by the 1880s there where about 50 residents served by three churches, a school, a gristmill, general store, and two cotton gins. Del Valle was the central location for the school for the Colorado Common School District Number 36 (which would be reorganized into the Del Valle Independent School District in 1962). The Mothers' Club of Colorado School (also called the Ladies Club of the Colorado School and the Mothers' Educational Club) was formed in the early 1900s (1905 is the first date in the minute book in the 7th entry) and "resolved that the ladies were instructed to solicit the other ladies of the community and get, if possible, the cooperation of the entire district to meeting on the third Saturday of each month...." In January of 1906 it was decided that a formal constitution be written and elections held for officers. The women held fundraising events such as picnics, suppers and ice cream socials to raise money for school supplies, repairs and improvements.
During the May 10, 1906, meeting the issue of acquiring more ground for the cemetery was introduced and a Cemetery Committee was formed. In September of 1906 it was decided to buy at least 3 1/2 acres for the cemetery and fundraising campaign was started. In October 1906 the organization made decisions about how to sell cemetery lots, decided to name the cemetery Greenwood and to create a Cemetery Association in order to be incorporated for deeds of sale. A total of a little over four acres were purchased in order to get an entrance below the old cemetery. The name of the organization changed to the Ladies of the Cemetery Club and then to the Greenwood Cemetery Association. The Cemetery Association still provides upkeep for the cemetery.
The collection contains minute books for both the Mothers' Club of Colorado School and the Greenwood Cemetery Association as well as loose papers regarding the operation of the cemetery dating from 1905 to 1993. The early minute books, dated 1905-1911, contain meeting attendance records; treasurer's reports detailing school tuition and cemetery membership dues paid and donations made to both organizations as well as the money spent on school related items and the cemetery efforts; and the activities of the organizations regarding both the school and the cemetery. Often issues regarding the school and the cemetery were discussed at the same meeting. After 1911 the minute books only contain information regarding the operations of the cemetery and include dues paid and lot transfers until 1947. Typescript copies of the minute books were created by the Cemetery Association. It is unknown if the Mothers' Club of Colorado School dissolved or if the two organizations officially separated.
Additional text materials consist of lists of cemetery lots sold, owner names and membership dues paid dated from 1928 through 1959; names of people buried in the cemetery; correspondence dated from the 1980s-1990s regarding cemetery upkeep and issues related access to the cemetery when the adjacent Bergstrom Air Force Base property was being transferred to the City of Austin; obituaries from the late 1950s and early 1960s; and a 1979 cemetery plot map with last names of those interred. Also included are three color photographs with the corresponding negatives of the cemetery and a Greenwood Cemetery Association embosser and stamp.
Open to all users
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Materials were given to the donor by members of the Greenwood Cemetery Association who were unsure who gave the materials to them.
Mothers' Club of Colorado School and Greenwood Cemetery Association Records (AR.2008.011). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/2008/037
Donation Date: 2008
Collection processed and finding aid encoded by Molly Hults in 2018.