TABLE OF CONTENTS
Paul Quinn College Papers
An Inventory of the Collection
At the Annual Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church held in Houston, Texas in early 1872, the church decided to create an institution of higher learning for freedmen and their children. On April 4th of that same year, the Connectional High School and Institute (later Connectional College) was founded in Austin, Texas as a vocational institute training students in trades such as blacksmithing, carpentry, and tanning. In 1877 the school relocated to Waco, Texas due to the presence of other historically black colleges (HBCUs) opening in the Austin area. In May of 1881, the State of Texas chartered Connectional College and it was renamed Paul Quinn College in honor of William Paul Quinn, an early A.M.E missionary to the western states. Once plans for expansion were announced and 20 acres of land were purchased from the Garrison Plantation, Paul Quinn College opened as a liberal arts college to African American students on April 5th, 1882. Over the next century, the school grew exponentially, eventually boasting a student population of 1,020. In 1990, Paul Quinn College moved to the campus of Bishop’s College in the Dallas-Fort Worth area which had closed in 1988. Upon its relocation, it became the only historically black college in Dallas-Fort Worth. Today, it has a student enrollment of around 500 and is one of the first urban work schools featuring an urban farm meant to assist with the problem of food deserts in the greater Dallas area.
The Paul Quinn College papers include a history of the college that details events from 1872 to the early 1970’s, a flier, a letter from the assistant to the president of the college, a course catalog from 1970-72, and an insert from the Waco Tribune-Herald celebrating the centennial of Paul Quinn College in 1972.
Open to all users
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
These items were donated to the Austin History Center by L.C Wood, the administrative assistant to the President of Paul Quinn College in March of 1972.
Paul Quinn College Papers (AR.K.007). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1972/033
Donation Date: March, 1972.
Final Processing and Finding Aid By: LaToya Devezin and Johnny Rovell, March, 2017.