TABLE OF CONTENTS
Gerald Langford "O. Henry's Austin" Photographs
An Inventory of the Collection
Gerald Langford was an English professor and O. Henry Scholar based in Austin, Texas in the latter half of the 20th century. Langford was born October 20, 1911 in Alabama, grew up in Georgia, and received his Bachelor of Arts, Masters, and Doctorate in English Literature from the University of Virginia. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps for three years during World War II and taught at colleges in South Carolina, North Carolina and Kentucky before joining the faculty of the English Department at the University of Texas at Austin in 1946 where he taught courses in creative writing and contemporary English and American literature. His first book, "Alias O. Henry: A Biography of William Sidney Porter," was published in 1957. His other published works include "The Richard Harding Davis Years" (1961), "The Murder of Stanford White" (1962), and "Ingenue Among the Lions," (1965). In the 1960s, he developed an interest in photography with a specific interest in photographing buildings related to O. Henry's life. Gerald Langford died April 18, 2003 in Austin, Texas.
88 black-and-white photographs, 18 contact sheets, approximately 700 35mm negatives and 15 pages of text document Austin, Texas landmarks associated with William Sidney Porter (O. Henry). Photographs and accompanying text titled "O. Henry's Austin: A Pictorial Record of Surviving Landmarks Associated with William Sidney Porter" were created by Gerald Langford in the 1960s. The bulk of the collection features undated photographs of Austin landmarks associated with William Sidney Porter (O. Henry). Landmarks include the Capitol, Driskill Hotel, Governor's mansion, St. David's Episcopal Church, and street views of East Pecan Street. In addition there are photographs of O. Henry's personal home (now the O. Henry Museum). Included in most of the folders is a manuscript page that includes biographical detail of William Sidney Porter and descriptions of the photographs. These pages were perhaps drafts of an unrealized project: a pictorial history of O. Henry. In addition to the photographs depicting landmarks, the collection includes undated photographs, negatives, and contact sheets of assorted houses in Austin.
Open to all users
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Gerald Langford "O. Henry's Austin" Photographs (AR.2016.040). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1967/030
Donation Date: 1986 March 02
Finding Aid created and encoded by Anne Kofmehl/June 2017