TABLE OF CONTENTS
Ethel Brydson Berkley Photograph Collection
An Inventory of the Collection
Ethel May Brydson Berkley was a long-time resident in Austin, Texas in the early 20th century. Born in Austin on May 9, 1899, she was the daughter or John J. Brydson, a lumber mill contractor, and Mary Dean Brydson. She was raised in Austin with her sister, Pauline. The family lived at 1605 East 1st Street in the early 1900s; by 1910 they lived at 716 West Avenue. In 1925 Ethel was married to William Ernest Berkley, the son of Dr. and Mrs. C. H. Berkley of Dripping Springs. After their wedding the couple moved to Dallas where Mr. Berkley was involved in newspaper work. Later he worked as a mechanical engineer. They had a son, John, born in 1931 and a daughter, Camilla, born 1933. Ethel died on July 6, 1992.
39 photographs document the Brydson family and friends, homes and other Austin, Texas scenes from the early 20th century. 15 photographs of scenes in Austin depict the Enfield Road area and Travis Heights in 1927, the stone bridge over Barton Springs, the quarry with granite for the Capitol, and the construction of the dam across the Colorado River. A photograph of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas shows a group meeting at the Capitol with Rebecca Jane Fisher. A folder on floods contains five images, including a scene at Barton Springs. Photographs of houses include two of the Brydson family home at 716 West Avenue, the house at 1605 East 1st Street where Ethel was born, and a family portrait of the Brydsons with Mrs. Thaddeus P. Robinson at 1601 East 1st Street (the T. P. Robinson home). A note in the folder also depicts the floorplan of 1601 East 1st Street. A folder of assorted portraits includes two tintypes of unidentified men, and photographs of young girls, a group of men in uniform at Fort McPherson, and Mrs. T. P. Robinson with Nettie Delphose on the lawn at 1601 East 1st Street. The unidentified family portrait is a group portrait in front of a house. Finally, two photographs depict WAC group portraits from 1943.
Restrictions on Access
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Restrictions on Use
Open to all users.
Ethel Brydson Berkley Photograph Collection (AR.2016.037). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/2016/062
Donation Date: November 4, 2016
Finding aid created and encoded by Nicole Davis/2016.