TABLE OF CONTENTS
Page Southerland Page Records and Drawings
An Inventory of the Collection
Louis Charles Page Jr. (1909-1981) was born in Austin, Texas. The son of the architect Louis Page, Page Jr. followed in his father's footsteps and graduated from The University of Texas School of Architecture (1929) and MIT (1931). After graduation he spent a summer in the architectural program in Fontainebleau and then returned to Austin and interned briefly at this father's firm Page Brothers before opening up an office with Louis Southerland.
Louis F. Southerland (1906-1994) grew up in Trenton, Texas and also studied architecture at The University of Texas before transferring to MIT, where he received his bachelor's degree in architecture (1932).
Page and Southerland opened their firm in Tyler, Texas because the town was in the midst of an oil boom. Unfortunately, according to a 1947 interview with Southerland in the Austin Statesman, the people in Tyler were not spending the oil money on buildings. Page returned to Austin to teach at the University of Texas School of Architecture and Southerland moved to San Antonio to work on the United States Post Office and Courthouse in Ralph Cameron's office. Page and Southerland reopened their office in Austin in 1935. Their early projects were residences and several school buildings around the state. In 1938 they received their first big commission from the Public Works Administration to construct Rosewood Courts (called the Negro Housing Project at the time) in Austin.
Louis Page's younger brother George Matthews Page joined the firm after his graduation from The University of Texas School of Architecture in 1937 and an extended tour of Europe. The name of the firm was changed to Page Southerland Page in 1939/1940. While the firm continued to design residential projects it moved toward larger commercial, medical, educational, public and ecclesiastical buildings. Page Southerland Page was responsible for the Austin Municipal Building (1936), Dr. Pepper Bottling Plant (1939), Brackenridge Hospital (1940), Smithville Locker Plant (1944), Elgin-Butler Brick Company Office Building (1946), Mason Memorial Hospital (1948), McCallum High School (1952), Dart Bowl Bowling Center (1958), Palmer Auditorium (1959), IBM campus (1961), St. David's additions (1960s-1970s), as well as many other buildings in Texas. The firm opened offices in Dallas and Houston in 1974 and went on to design projects throughout the world.
Louis Page died in 1981, Louis Southerland followed in 1994 and George Page a year later. The firm, now just called Page, has continued to grow and currently (2016) has offices in five cities in addition to Austin.
The majority of the collection consists of architectural drawings designed by Page Southerland and Page Southerland Page dating from 1935 through the early 1980s. There are over 3000 drawings that represent approximately 275 projects of residential, commercial, medical, educational, public, ecclesiastical, and military nature; 80 of them attributed to Page Southerland and 194 attributed to Page Southerland Page. All of the projects are located in Texas, with over two-thirds of them located in Austin. Represented are 36 commercial designs including the Dr. Pepper Bottling Plant (1939, 1946-1947), Elgin-Butler Brick Company Office Building (1946), Powell and Woolsey Building (1950), Dart Bowl Bowling Center (1958), City National Bank Building (1969), and IBM Corporate Facilities (1975); 11 ecclesiastical designs including Church of the Good Shepherd (1945), Mexican Baptist Church (1946) and additions to the University Presbyterian Church (1950s); 25 educational projects including Pleasant Hill School (1935), Rosedale School (1946), Metz Elementary additions and renovations (1947) and McCallum High School (1952); 20 medical projects including various renovations and additions to St. David's Community Hospital (1950s, 1960s, 1970s), Brackenridge Hospital additions (1970s) and Seton Medical Center (1970s); 22 public projects including the Austin Municipal Building (1937), Rosewood Court Housing Project (1938), improvements to the Austin Water Filtration plant (1953), ant the Post Office and Federal Building (1962); and 155 residential designs including single family homes, apartment buildings and fraternity/sorority houses.
In addition to the architectural drawings there are five black and white photographs of a 1946 unidentified institutional building project, a photo rendering of the proposed United State Naval Hospital in Austin and transparency of rendering of the City National Bank on Congress Avenue, Austin. Also included are a set of drafting tools.
Open to all users
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Materials donated by Page Southerland Page.
Page Southerland Page Records and Drawings (AR.2009.030). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1986/101
Donation Date: 1993, 1999, 2005, 2007
Architectural drawings cataloged by Ida Scott and Toni Thomasson. Finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults in 2016.