TABLE OF CONTENTS
Roy L. Thomas Photographs and Drawings
An Inventory of the Collection
Born in San Marcos, Roy Leonidas Thomas attended both Southwestern University in Georgetown and the school of engineering at the University of Texas. He left school in 1908 to work in the construction field. In 1909 Thomas took a job as a draftsman with Endress and Walsh, Austin, and worked on the firm's behalf in San Benito. During this time he invented a ratchet pipe cutter for which he obtained a patent.
In 1911, Thomas began his own practice in Austin, specializing in the construction of residences. During World War I, he served as an architectural draftsman. After military service, he returned to Austin and permanently established his office at his home at 2812 Hemphill Park.
In the late 1930s, however, the focus of his practice shifted away from houses and toward churches, schools, and offices. During the 1930s and 1940s he worked as fee architect for the Federal Housing Administration. He also served in World War II as a construction supervisor of a magnesium plant for the International Mineral and Chemical Corporation.
After the war, he and his son, William, opened a partnership in Austin. Thomas died in 1968.
Some of Thomas' more memorable designs are the Bohn House (1938) and the Texas Hotel (now the Stephen F. Austin Hotel) (1924).
This Photographs series (circa 1940s-1950s) consists of images of homes that are unidentified. Images which portrayed structures in Austin or Travis County were separated to the Photographs Collection of the AHC. See Separated Materials for more information.
Researchers may find that some prints do have identifying information written on the back. If any researcher has any pertinent information, they should contact the Architectural Archives Curator to add to the collection.
The Drawings series contains the plans for three Austin residences built between 1915 and 1938. The most well known of the residence's is the Bohn House (1938) which was designed in the Moderne Style (Art Deco). Also included are the residence of Judge Cureton (1928), who was the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas and the Reed residence (1915).
Open to all users
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Collection was donated to the Austin History Center by Robert B. Pringle on February 25,1982.
Roy L. Thomas Records (AR.2009.036). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1982/019
Donation Date: 1982 February 25
Initial Inventory and Preliminary Processing By/Date: Tim Wilder/October 1991
Updated by Kathryn Garvey/2012