TABLE OF CONTENTS
Austin National Bank Photograph Collection
An Inventory of the Collection
The Austin National Bank was founded in 1890 with the first meeting held on April 15 at the Driskill Hotel to formally adopt the Articles of Association, sign the organization certificate, pay in the required fifty per cent of the stock, and the election of directors. The bank opened in a space in the Hancock Building on June 16, 1890. The first officers were C. W. Gilfillan as President, Walter Tips and Henry Hirshfeld as Vice-Presidents, H.P. Hilliard as cashier and W. L. Gilfillan as assistant cashier. Within the first months Dr. E. P. Wilmot took over the job as bank president.
By 1895 the bank outgrew its quarters and moved to a new office space at 507 Congress. The growth of the bank was constant and when space became an issue again the bank bought the building it occupied as well as the building next door and razed the structure and built a new building. In January 1930 the bank occupied its new home.
The Austin National Bank expanded its quarters again in 1947-48 with extensive renovations to the existing building. The next time the bank was ready to expand it opened the Austin National Drive-In Bank addition on the corner of East Fifth and Brazos Streets in 1956. Seventeen years later the bank location on 6th and Congress was demolished to make way for a 25-story bank tower which was opened in 1975.
The Austin National Bank merged with First International Bancshares, Inc in 1981 and adopted the InterFirst Bank name. At the time this was the largest merger in Texas banking history.
Photographs #001-092 were taken in 1947 and 1948 and document the renovations the bank was undergoing at the time. Employees of the bank and the construction process are both represented in the photos. These photographs were originally assembled in a scrapbook. When the arrangement of the photographs in the scrapbook could be determined, a photocopy of the page was created and added to the collection.
Photographs #093-123 were taken in 1956 and document the new Austin National Drive-In Bank building, parking garage, and the Open House for the new building that took place on January 15, 1956. The photographs from the Open House feature bank staff, including bank President E.C. Bartholomew, and KTBC-TV cameramen capturing action shots of the drive-in windows in use.
The textual materials consist of a program from 1948 announcing “the newly enlarged quarters of the Austin National Bank” and 2 letters.
Restrictions on Access
Open to all users.
Restrictions on Use
The Austin History Center (AHC) is the owner of the physical materials in the AHC collections and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the AHC before any publication use. The AHC does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Consult repository for more details.
Scrapbook was found in an estate sale and donated to the Austin History Center by donor # DO/1995/004. Original owner of the scrapbook is unknown.
Photographs #093-123 were found by a bank employee while cleaning out a closet at the bank in the early 1990s. The employee then gave the photographs to donor # DO/2018/017 who contacted the Austin History Center.
Austin National Bank Photograph Collection (AR.2009.049). Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, Texas.
Donor #: DO/1995/004
Donation Date: 2009
Donor #: DO/2018/017
Donation Date: 2018
Original finding aid created and encoded by Molly Hults in 2009. Additions integrated, finding aid re-encoded by Madeline Moya in 2019.