Tool for Making Maps
Resources limited to students, faculty, and staff of the University of Texas at Austin.
- ArcGIS is available on computers in the libraries.
Map making databases [data embedded]
- Simply Map
- An Internet-based mapping application that enables users to develop interactive thematic maps and reports using thousands of demographic, business, and marketing data variables.
- Social Explorer
- Provides easy access to historical census data for the United States. Allows users to visually analyze and understand the demography of any part of the United States with access to the following:
- Interactive thematic maps of historical census data
- Customized reports for any chosen area or areas (including aggregates)
- Complete coverage of the United States, down to neighborhoods and streets
- Simple navigation buttons and a find tool make it easy and efficient to study neighborhoods
Free online map making resources
Map making sites [data embedded]
- Nation Atlas Map Maker (USA only)
- Can be used to generate thematic representations of large collections of data. Printable.
- NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
- Create choropleth maps of the world based on data from many different sources.
- Google Maps - Create My Maps
- Customize Google Maps and share them. Great for routes (directions) and point's of interest.
- Scribble Maps
- Customize and redesign various online maps (i.e. Google Maps) or upload your own base map. Printable.
- Create custom, interactive maps using your own base map or online base maps.
- Helps you make static, thematic maps from geographic data by bringing the best of traditional cartographic design to internet map-making. Very customizable. Printable.
- Highly customizable maps. Upload your own data or use embedded data.
- Thematic Mapping Engine (TME)
- Enables you to visualize global statistics on Google Earth. Data embedded; the primary data source is UNdata.
- Many Eyes
- A data aggregator that lets you make quick choropleth maps. Limited choice of base maps.
- Create vector maps with some control of features. Limited design. Printable.
- Zee Maps
- Customize Google maps or upload your own base map. Can be crowdsourced. Great interface. Free to use; fees to print without ads, etc..
- A cloud-based presentation software that opens up a new world between whiteboards and slides. It's not interactive, but is great for combining a route and timeline. See example.
- Allows you to crowdsource information and visualize it on a map and timeline.
- OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world.
- Google Map Maker
- Add to and update the map with Google Map Maker, and see your edits in Google Maps. Start mapping the places you know.